Mark Bourassa, director
Marbeck Center, completed in 1968, serves as the social, recreational and informational center of the campus. This campus center features Bob's Place, dining facilities for the entire student body, a snack shop, lounges, bookstore, post office, student organization offices, meeting rooms and a variety of other facilities. It is used for cultural programming for students, faculty, staff and guests of Bluffton and it serves as a home base for personal involvement and commitment in the life of Bluffton.
The basic function of the center is to meet the needs of the campus community. The center also serves an important role as a meeting place for civic, community and religious groups.
Bob's Place features food, games, computers and entertainment and is a place to hang out, study and socialize. A fireplace, computers, televisions and games are a few of the features of this area.
Bob's games include all the classics, pool, table tennis, air hockey, foosball and darts, along with the ever popular carpet ball. All games are available at no charge to Bluffton students. Equipment is available at the snack shop.
Bob's also features wireless access to the campus computer network from anywhere in the facility, including the outdoor plaza.
Bob's Place features a full line of grill and snack items. Bob's Place also accepts Beaver Bucks.
The Kiva is the center lounge in the upper level of Marbeck Center. Kiva is a Native American word for gathering place.
Lost and found
A lost and found department is maintained at the Marbeck Center Information Desk. Articles may be turned in or claimed there.
Room and space reservations
Many rooms and spaces are available in Marbeck Center for student, faculty, staff and community use. These areas can be reserved at the Marbeck Information Desk, by phone at 419-358-3216 or via e-mail at email@example.com or on the web.
The following areas may be reserved. If applicable, the capacity of each room is listed in parenthesis.
1899 Room (18)
Purple and White Room (18)
Kreider Room (80)
Consultation Room (8)
Room A (18)
- Rooms and space are reserved on a first come first serve basis.
- Marbeck Center reserves the right to reassign space if necessary.
- The Commons may not be reserved for activities when lunch is being served.
- Bob's Place may not be reserved for private functions while school is in session unless approved by the director of Marbeck Center.
Bulletin board reservations
Marbeck Center bulletin boards may also be reserved at the Marbeck Center Information Desk, by phone at 419-358-3216 or via-e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org. Boards are available in three sizes to meet a variety of needs.
- Bulletin boards must be reserved for a specified period of time.
- The reserving party is responsible for removing all materials from the bulletin board
at the end of the reservation period.
Recreation equipment reservations
Students, faculty and staff may check out recreational equipment from Marbeck Center. Sign out sheets and equipment are located at the Information Desk. Basketballs, volleyballs, playground balls and softballs are available for use.
The following policies apply for recreation equipment use:
- Equipment may only be checked out with a valid Bluffton University ID or driver's license.
- Equipment may not be checked out overnight without the permission of the director
or assistant director of Marbeck Center.
- Persons or groups should refrain from actions disrupting Marbeck Center's desired atmosphere. Distasteful or objectionable displays of affection are discouraged.
- Lounge areas are designed for sitting, studying and conversation. Please refrain from placing feet on furniture, lying or sleeping in Marbeck Center.
- All are urged to keep Marbeck Center clean.
- Food and beverages should be kept in their proper places. Items purchased in Bob's Place should be kept in Bob's or Loft. Unauthorized food and beverages are not permitted in the Gallery Lounge.
- Equipment and furnishings are not to be removed without the permission of the director of Marbeck Center.
- Only authorized personnel shall operate the sound system.
- Only authorized personnel are permitted behind the information desk or in the mail room.
- Shirt and shoes should be worn at all times in Marbeck Center.
- The director of Marbeck Center is available to any student, faculty, staff or community member who wishes to offer suggestions or comments.
Mailboxes for all students, faculty and staff are located in Marbeck Center. Those who have not been notified of their mailbox number prior to the start of classes should contact the mailroom manager at the Marbeck Center Information Desk (419-358-3216). Students are asked to have incoming mail addressed in the following manner:
Bluffton University (box number)
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817-2104
(Please do not use the word "box", "PO Box" or any form of the word box in your address.)
Students are notified of receiving packages by a package card being placed in their mailbox. Packages may be picked up at the Marbeck Center Information Desk between 8 a.m. and 11 p.m. daily.
- During vacation periods, mail is held in the mailroom until students return to campus.
- During the summer after a student leaves the university, all first class mail is forwarded to the home address listed in the student directory or to a new address if a Change of Address form is completed and submitted to the mailroom manager. Please note that pursuant to United States Postal Service regulations, 1st class mail can only be forwarded for up to one year and magazines for 90 days.
- All bulk mail and magazines will be discarded unless other instructions are given.
- Bulk mail may be forwarded by filling out a Change of Address form and paying any postage due.
- Daily or weekly newspapers are discarded during breaks unless a request is made to
have them held or forwarded.
For the purposes of the policy regarding the placement of stuffers in student, faculty or staff mailboxes in Marbeck Center, a stuffer is defined as unaddressed (no name & box number) campus mail that is designated to be placed in all mailboxes or large groups of mailboxes.
- Only stuffers or surveys from Bluffton University student organizations, academic departments or administrative offices will be placed in mailboxes through the campus mail system.
- Surveys will only be distributed if they are part of a Bluffton University academic course assignment or approved by the administration.
- All surveys must be approved by the Bluffton University Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- The director of Marbeck Center or his/her designee must approve all stuffers.
- Individual area businesses will not be allowed to have stuffers placed in mailboxes. They may request to have materials placed in a common area for distribution to the campus community.
- Area churches are allowed one stuffer per academic year.
- Stuffers must be no less than 3 inches (7.5 cm) on any one side.
The following policies relate to the posting of publicity and other notices in Marbeck Center.
- All organizational publicity to be displayed in Marbeck Center should be approved at the Marbeck Center Information Desk.
- Publicity may only be posted on designated bulletin boards or above the conveyor belt in The Commons.
- Publicity may NOT be posted on glass or doors.
- Publicity found in undesignated areas will be removed.
- Posters may be displayed 10 days in advance of the planned event, although special arrangements may be made if necessary.
- Individuals or organizations are responsible for removing all publicity within 24 hours after the event.
The Marbeck Marketplace is a bulletin board forum for students to buy and sell books and other items. The following policies govern the use of this area.
- All notices must be dated.
- Notices without dates will be taken down.
- Sellers are responsible for crossing off items that are sold.
- Notices will be removed every two months.