“My ultimate goal is to create a family atmosphere with the students I work with, so they’re comfortable and want to stay, and go on to be the productive citizens we know they can become.”
Multicultural Student Development
Multicultural Student Development Center
The Multicultural Student Development Center was established in the early 1970s to promote academic and personal growth and development of minority and international students enrolled at Bluffton University.
To promote the involvement and Development of all students
Multicultural Student Development...
- promotes understanding and sensitivity to the values of a diverse college community
- seeks to address the unique needs of under-represented groups within the student body
- educates the college community about the changing profile of our student body
- promotes leadership development of students of color through education, experience and involvement
We seek to provide the Bluffton University student community with:
- Counseling: academic and personal
- Meeting place and study space for students
- Provide informational referrals for students
- Act as a liaison for students
- Celebrates diversity through programming
- Multicultural Student Organization
- Community Enrichment Scholarship
- Resource Center
Monday — Friday; 9 a.m. — 5 p.m.
The Multicultural Student Development Center is located in the Hirschy Breezeway.
BECOME A STUDENT WORKER
Each semester, the multicultural affairs office hires student workers to complete items such as publicity, research and programming. You can become a vital part to our success. If interested, please contact the Director of Multicultural Student Development, the semester before you would like to work. The position is on a first-come, first-serve basis.
A SPACE FOR YOU
The center has couches, computers and television. The space can be used for meetings, socials, movie nights or a study space. Drop by the center to clear your activity(ies) with the director.
Programming within the center is conducted by various student organizations.
The Multicultural Student Development Center offers a wide variety of books, dvds and other literature surrounding the topic of the center. Feel free to drop by and explore the materials for your classes, leisure or research.
- Diverse: Issues in Higher Education-http://diverseeducation.com
- CNN's Program: Black in America-http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2008/black.in.america/
- CNN's Program: Latino in America-http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2009/latino.in.america/
Program H.O.M.E. (Hope, Opportunity, Mentorship and Education) matches incoming students of color with upper class mentors to help new students become better oriented into the Bluffton community.