NursingTo become a licensed registered nurse in the state of Ohio, a person must graduate from an accredited registered nursing program and successfully pass the National Council License Examination (NCLEX-RN).
Our dual-degree program, offered in collaboration with Northwest State Community College (NSCC), prepares students to successfully pass the NCLEX-RN examination upon completion of foundational nursing coursework through NSCC. Students are also prepared as BSN-generalist level Registered Nurses in accordance with The Essentials of Baccalaureate Education for Professional Nursing Practice during their study at Bluffton University.
Students also have the opportunity, throughout all components of this innovative nursing program, to reinforce the content and skills learned in the classroom and clinical lab simulations through instructor-guided experiential hands-on clinical nursing sessions in a variety of healthcare settings.
Paige Lawhorn has a mission in life: to help people. “I want to make a difference and do something different every single day. With nursing you get that.”
The Bluffton University sophomore is already putting that mission into practice. Paige is an STNA and works at Willow Ridge, a nursing home near Bluffton’s campus. Paige's story >
Admission requirements for the Bluffton University nursing program:
- Admission to Bluffton University.
- Minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA.
- Minimum 23 ACT/ 1130 SAT Score (scores may be super score)
- High school chemistry and biology courses with a B or better or college equivalent course with C or better.
- STNA Certificate – suggest completion the summer following high school graduation.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support Professional Level Certificate through American Heart Association or Red Cross.
- Successful completion of the National League for Nursing RN Pre-Admission exam.
Consideration will be given:
- To students with an ACT composite score of 22 (or super score) in conjunction with a high school GPA of 3.5 or better, and who meet the high school chemistry and biology requirements.
- Select students not meeting the above ACT criteria may be granted the option to enter the first year nursing curriculum in a pre-nursing status based on individual academic review by the Nursing Program Admissions committee. Students may also be offered entry into pre-nursing status as a 5-year option based on the student’s previous academic history. Students granted either pre-nursing option must pass all first year nursing core courses with a C or better and must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher during their first year (first and second year if on a 5 year plan). Students granted pre-nursing status must also meet all other outlined requirements for admission to Bluffton University.
Through Bluffton’s nursing program, you will complete RN degree requirements through dual enrollment at Northwest State Community College, which will prepare you to take the NCLEX-RN exam.
Upon successful completion of the NCLEX-RN exam, you will complete advanced nursing course requirements for the bachelor of science in nursing degree at Bluffton.
Explore the courses required for a
Complete the nursing major in four years by following this guideline for course selection.
At Bluffton you will find:
- Outstanding liberal arts and advanced nursing education coupled with top quality technical nursing education in a dual-degree nursing program in collaboration with Northwest State Community College
- Clinical fieldwork experiences in a variety of community health care settings
- Small liberal arts, Christian school in which to study for and obtain a BSN registered nursing degree
- Each student has an advisor dedicated to his/her success who will provide personal mentorship to guide the student through a rigorous academic program
- Strong cross-cultural program to prepare students to work in a variety of settings
- Mission-driven curriculum which prepares students to live out their values in their personal and work lives, their communities and the world
- Opportunities to participate fully in campus life and athletics
Want to learn more about Bluffton?