Nursing program admission requirements
There are minimum standards to advance through each stage of the 4-year Bluffton University BSN program.
- Gate 1: Admission to Bluffton University
- Gate 2: Admission to Rhodes State College nursing program
- Gate 3: Completion of Rhodes State College nursing program
- Gate 4: Program completion at Bluffton University
Admission to Bluffton University nurSinG program
- Admission to Bluffton University.
- Minimum 2.5 Cumulative GPA.
- Minimum 23 ACT/ 1130 SAT Score (scores may be super score)
- STNA Certificate (to be completed prior to entry into nursing courses at RSC and no later than spring semester of first-year at Bluffton.)
Consideration will be given:
- To students with an ACT composite score of 22 (or super score) in conjunction with a high school GPA of 3.5 or better.
- Select students not meeting the above ACT criteria may be granted the option to enter the first year nursing curriculum in a pre-nursing status based on individual academic review by the Nursing Program Admissions committee. Students may also be offered entry into pre-nursing status as a 5-year option based on the student’s previous academic history. Students granted either pre-nursing option must pass all first year nursing core courses with a C or better and must maintain a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher during their first year (first and second year if on a 5 year plan). Successful students will be granted a seat bqased on availability as outlined in Gate 2: Admission to Rhodes State College. Students granted pre-nursing status must also meet all other outlined requirements for admission to Bluffton University.
The following must be completed prior to the first year fall class start:
- Declaration of nursing major.
- Basic Cardiac Life Support Professional Level Certificate through American Heart Association.
- Clear 10-panel non-DOT Urine Drug Screen.
- Completion of all health requirements for nursing program i.e. Two-step TB testing, physical and immunizations.
- Completion of STNA course requirements is highly recommended following high school graduation and prior to beginning the fall semester
Gate 2: Admission to Rhodes State College
As Rhodes State College reserves a limited number of seats for Bluffton University students, entrance into the RN program is competitive. You must do the following to be considered for acceptance at Rhodes State:
- Successfully complete first-year coursework at Bluffton University and maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5.
- Demonstrate successful completion of an STNA training program.
- Complete the application for Rhodes State College in spring of your first year.
Meet the ACT score requirements:
|Reading/Writing||ACTS 22/ACTE 18||450 English||NGRD 250|
|Science||ACTN 20||N/A||ACPS 33|
- Successfully complete the Accuplacer exam sections for areas not meeting ACT competency OR meet remediation-free levels in reading, mathematics and science by successfully completing an appropriate developmental course.
- Receive at least the 60th percentile relative preformance on the Test of Essential Academic Skills (TEAS). This exam can be taken twice in a 12-month period and you must wait 30 days after the first attempt before retesting.
Gate 3: Program completion of Rhodes State College nursing program
- Successful completion of Rhodes State College nursing program with receipt of an Associate of Applied Science degree.
- Successful completion of the Ohio NCLEX-RN Licensure exam in spring/summer of year 3 before proceeding into year 4 BSN classes.
Gate 4: Program completion at Bluffton University
- Complete RN-BSN nursing concentration courses.
- Earsn a minimum grade oc C in all nursing core courses for successful program completion.
- Bachelor's degree issued from Bluffton University.