Room draw schedule
Monday, March 9 through Wednesday, March 11
A mandatory hall meeting for all returning students will be held. Look for announcement of time/location from your hall staff. Commuters wishing to live on campus can contact the student life office for information at Studentlife@bluffton.edu. Below is some information regarding the process please attend your all hall meeting for a full overview.
Monday, March 16, 11:59 p.m.
Preference for Riley Court apartments will be given to groups who sign up with six people, with upperclassman being given priority within those groups. If any apartments are left after these groups of six register, there will be a room draw for any available apartments in groups of two.
If you are interested in signing up for an apartment, you must email firstname.lastname@example.org by 11:59 p.m. Monday, March 16. Please include in the email the complete names of the six students interested in the apartment, their email address and indicate a lead person for the group.
- Seniors will be given priority with the total number of group points tallied for final decisions. Class status will be determined by current credit hours completed.
- To determine priority, seniors will be given 4 points and juniors 3. These numbers are combined and divided by 6 (number of students in the apartment) to rank order with the higher number choosing first. Students who try for an apartment and do not receive it will be able to nest.
- Please also fill out the “nesting” room form in case you do not receive an apartment placement. The process will be completed in time for you to delete the nesting request or sign up for the other room draws beginning March 18 if needed.
- If you receive an apartment assignment for next year and any member of your group does not return to Bluffton, the group will be responsible to find a new student to take their place or pay for their portion of the room charge. If you do not find a replacement or accept the extra charge, you will lose your apartment and a group from the waitlist will be moved into your place.
- You must have at least the Apartment 70 block plan when living in the apartments. You may also have a 10, 15 or 20 meal plan for an additional cost. More information available on the Riley Court Apartment
- Individual rooms within each apartment will be decided by the apartment members themselves.
aka keeping your current room for next year
Tuesday, March 17, 11:59 p.m. Residents who want to stay in their present rooms (including singles, triples and Neufeld rooms) for next fall have first priority for those rooms. However, a resident must have a roommate for next year to keep his/her room. Deadline for both roommates to submit the Returning Student Housing Form is 11:59 p.m. Tuesday, March 17. If you want to keep your current room, both roommates need to list the other as their roommate in order to reserve the room. If roommate names do not match or the deadline is missed, the room will be forfeited. If everything is completed and you are nesting, you do not need to attend room draw.
Singles, Triples & Seniors
Monday, March 23, 9:30 p.m. (as soon as one draw is over, the next will begin), Stutzman Lecture Hall
We will hold an in-person room draw for students that did not nest to fill singles and triples and for seniors who did not nest. All roommates must be present at room draw. The room will be forfeited if both roommates do not submit the Returning Student Housing Form agreement form at room draw.
Singles draw will begin at 9:30 p.m.
There are a limited number of single rooms available on campus. Single rooms are smaller rooms that are designed to house only one individual. Because of a limited number of single rooms on campus, it is likely that all individuals seeking a single room will not be accommodated.
There are a limited number of triple rooms that can house three individuals. Once you have chosen a triple, all three residents will need to fill out the housing agreement.
Rooms will be decided by class seniority (like the other room draw processes). Students are strongly encouraged to have a backup plan in the event they do not receive a single or triple room.
5th year seniors, 4th year seniors
Online forms must be completed after the room is picked or the room will be forfeited. The forms will open March 9, and you can fill everything out except your building and room before the night of room draw and save it, so that is all that will need to be completed after you select a room.
There will be laptops available or you can bring your own to room draw to complete your forms, which must be completed before you leave.
Juniors, Sophomores & Super Singles
Tuesday, March 24, 9:30 p.m. (as soon as one daw is over, the next will begin)
Stutzman Lecture Hall
Order of room draw:
Juniors will begin at 9:30 p.m.
Super singles in Neufeld for Seniors & Juniors
In-person room draw for students changing halls and/or rooms. Both roommates must be present.
If you plan to room with an incoming student you need to have that student email Studentlife@Bluffton.edu to indicate this desire. To do this the student must be accepted and plan to attend Bluffton University. The room will be forfeited if both roommates do not submit the Returning Student Housing Form agreement form.
Online forms must be completed after the room is picked or the room will be forfeited. The forms will open March 9 and you can fill everything out except your building and room before the night of room draw and save it, so that is all that will need to be completed after you select a room.
There will be laptops available or you can bring your own to room draw to complete your forms, which must be complete before you leave.
A super single is a standard size room that has only one person living in it. There is an additional $750 fee per semester for a super single. For the 2020-21 academic year there will be a limited number of super singles available, due to a large incoming class. Seniors will be able to choose a super single room in any hall. Juniors will be able to choose a super single only in Neufeld hall. There will be a sign-up sheet for juniors & sophomores that are interested in super singles in other halls. Tyson Goings, the Director of Residence Life, will contact you in August if there is space available. There will be a room draw on Sunday, Aug. 30, at 1 p.m.
Students without a roommate should contact their RA/HD to aid them in finding a roommate. If a roommate is not found by the start of room draw please email email@example.com.