Moving to the U.S.
International flags outside of the student union represent home countries of new students
during fall semester. Countries of graduating students are represented during spring
Steps to a student visa
We are excited about your interest in attending Bluffton University. As an international student, we are committed to working closely with you as you go through the process of arriving at Bluffton and in the United States. Read below for some important steps and information that will assist you in this process.
- Complete all necessary steps for admission to Bluffton University.
- If you receive financial approval, send a $2,000 advance deposit to confirm your admittance. This deposit can be wired directly to our bank who will notify us it has arrived, or it can be paid through PayPal. This deposit is non-refundable. It is not, however, an additional fee. The full $2,000 will be applied to your first semester bill.
- After receipt of your advance deposit, Bluffton will send you the I-20 form necessary for you to apply for your F-1 student visa.
- Schedule your student visa interview at the United States embassy in your country. Be sure to read all necessary requirements for items to bring to your interview. Most require you to bring your acceptance letter, proof of financial support (including bank statements) and evidence that you plan to return to your country after completing your education in the United States.
- Prior to your visa interview, complete and pay the I-901 fee to service your SEVIS record. SEVIS is a United States government system used to maintain records of international students. You will not be able to interview at the United States embassy if this fee and form are not complete. Bluffton does not assist with this step as it is completed using a United States government website. Payment of this fee is the responsibility of the student.
- Once you are issued your F-1 student visa, please promptly make travel arrangements for arrival to Dayton International Airport (Dayton, Ohio)
- Notify us of your flight arrangements (flight number and date/time of arrival.) We will send a Bluffton representative to pick you up. Students arriving for the fall semester should plan to arrive 5 days prior to the first day of classes. Students arriving for the spring semester should plan to arrive 3 days prior to the first day of classes.
- Prior to your arrival on campus, submit all necessary new student paperwork, including: medical history form, proof of medical insurance, FERPA release, and housing registration.