BASIC OVERVIEW >>> REGISTRATION
Pickle-ball® is played on a badminton-sized court. The ball is served diagonally (starting with the right-hand service-square), and points can only be scored by the side that serves.
Players on each side must let the ball bounce once before volleys are allowed, and there is a seven-foot no-volley zone on each side of the net, to prevent “spiking.” The server continues to serve, alternating service courts, until he or she faults. The first side scoring 11 points and leading by at least two points wins.
Double teams may be co-ed.
SERVING IN DOUBLES
- At the start of each new game; only one player on the first serving team is allowed a service turn before giving up the ball to the opponents. Thereafter both members of each team will have a service turn before the ball is turned over to the opposing team.
- In doubles; the player on the right at the start of a service turn, will be the first person to serve for their team and will continue to serve until he or she does not win a point. Then his or her partner will serve until he or she does also does not win a point. Then it is the other team's turn to serve.
- When the serving team scores a point, the server moves to the other side of the serving team’s court. The receiving team should never switch sides.
- If the serve rotation is done properly in doubles, the serving team's score will always
be even when the player that started the game on the right side is on the right side
and odd when that player is on the left side .
To volley means to hit a ball in the air without first letting it bounce. In Pickle-ball®, this can only be done when the player’s feet are behind the non-volley zone line (seven feet behind the net).
Each team must play their first shot off of the bounce. That is, the receiving team must let the serve bounce and the serving team must let the return of the serve bounce before playing it. Once these two bounces have occurred, the ball can either be volleyed or played off the bounce.
A fault is committed when the ball:
- Touches any part of the non-volley zone on the serve (including the line).
- Is hit out of bounds
- Does not clear the net
- Is volleyed from the non-volley zone
- Is volleyed before a bounce has occurred on each side
DETERMINING SERVING TEAM
The serving team may decide who will serve first with a coin toss. The winner of the coin toss will have the option to choose whether or not to serve first.
Register you and your partner for Pickle-ball. Registration deadline is noon March 20, 2023.