GRADUATION PROCEDURES FOR STUDENTS
Graduates should track progress toward completion of all graduation requirements by consulting their advisor and the my.bluffton.edu graduation report.
- Follow the instructions on the Plan for Graduation sheet to check your remaining hours required for graduation. A minimum of 30 hours must be completed at Bluffton University. Twenty-four of the final 30 hours must be completed at Bluffton.
- A minimum cumulative and major GPA of 2.0 is required for all students . Social work majors must earn a major GPA of 2.25 and education majors require a cumulative and a major GPA of 2.7.
- Additional graduation requirements include the departmental exam, institutional assessment,
returning all library materials and meeting all financial obligations.
GRADUATION DATE AND PARTICIPATION
- Bluffton University has four graduation dates per year: a May graduation date after the end of the spring semester, a JULY graduate date, which is the last day of summer session one, an August graduation date, which is the last day of summer session two, and a December graduation date, which is the last day of the fall semester. Projected graduation dates are assigned as carefully as possible for helping the student plan degree completion, but do not determine the actual graduation date. A student must complete course work within 21 days of the given graduation date to be considered as a graduate for that date. If a student fails to complete required work within 21 calendar days, the planned graduation date will be moved to the next graduation date within the academic year.
- Students who will have completed all graduation requirements by the May graduation date participate in May graduation exercises.
- Diplomas are given to students during graduation ceremonies if all requirements are completed and all financial obligations fulfilled. Arts & Lecture requirements must be completed two weeks before graduation in order to receive a diploma at graduation.
- Students who plan to complete all graduation requirements by the July and August graduation dates participate in May graduation exercises. Students should be registered at Bluffton University for the summer term, or have pre-approvals completed for courses being taken elsewhere by April 1. These students receive a diploma cover, but do not receive the actual diploma until all requirements have been completed, all financial obligations fulfilled and the August graduation date has passed.
- Students who completed all graduation requirements by December 2023 who did not participate in May 2023 graduation exercises will participate in May 2024.
- Students who will complete all requirements by December 2024 and who meet the following criteria may be included in the May 2024 graduation:
- Cumulative and major GPA of 2.5 (or higher, depending on departmental requirements) and
- A maximum of 21 hours remaining after the spring 2024 semester.
- A plan submitted to the registrar's office to complete all requirements by December 2024.
- Students who do not meet the criteria will be included in May 2025 graduation.
- Students who will be finished in July, August or December after May ceremonies and who plan on taking work at another university in order to meet their graduation must complete a pre-approval form for all coursework to be taken elsewhere. This form must be submitted to the registrar's office by April 1.
- Students are responsible to complete the proper procedures in order to be granted
permission to be included in graduation ceremonies.
- The Application for Graduation is now available on my.bluffton.edu (click the Student tab, then click Graduation from the list on the left). Follow the instructions in the application. The completed application is due by Friday, Feb. 16, 2024.
March 1, 2024, is the deadline for adding students to the graduation list.