Welcome new faculty and staff
It's all about relationships
Five faculty members and 20 staff members or graduate assistants are joining the Bluffton University community this academic year.
Dr. Melissa Michal joined the faculty as an assistant professor of English, teaching creative writing classes and facilitating the development of “Bridge: The Bluffton University Literary Journal.” Dr. Michal has her Ph.D. in English from Arizona State University, an M.F.A. in creative writing from Chatham University and an M.A. in English literature from Penn State University. She recently completed a one-year appointment at Pacific Lutheran University. Her research and writing interests focus on indigenous people and connecting with her identity as a Seneca writer.
Dr. Chris Morrissey was welcomed to Bluffton’s faculty as an assistant professor of sociology. Dr. Morrissey earned his Ph.D. in sociology from the University of Notre Dame. His dissertation is titled, “War, Peace, and Religious Advocacy: the Debate over the Iraq War.” In addition, he has earned an M.A. in religion and society from Santa Clara University, an M.Ed. from UCLA, and a B.A. in philosophy and psychology from the University of Delaware.
Sarah Lehman was hired as an assistant professor of biology. Prior to this fall, Lehman taught at OSU Lima. She holds a master of arts in science education from the University of Findlay and a master of science in biology from the University of Nebraska Kearney. Lehman previously taught adjunct and sabbatical coverage courses at Bluffton.
Trevor Scott was named the new director of speech-language pathology and audiology and assistant professor. He earned his master of science in speech-language pathology from Miami University, Ohio. He previously worked as a speech-language pathologist for a senior living community.
Amanda Beard joined Bluffton’s faculty as assistant professor of exercise science in January. Beard completed her master's degree in exercise science from Liberty University. She previously taught at Rhodes State College in Lima. Along with her teaching experience, Beard has worked as a performance enhancement trainer and is a certified strength and conditioning specialist.
Staff members new to Bluffton since the beginning of the 2018-19 academic year are:
- Da Eun Choi, accompanist and music instructor
- Alyssa Eby, admissions counselor
- Jan Haas, interim vice president for fiscal affairs
- DeVan Hill, assistant football coach
- Shelby Koenig, admissions counselor
- Chris Mosley, assistant football coach
- Quincy Salcido, admissions counselor
- Meg Short, admissions counselor
- Logan Wells, head cross country coach and track and field assistant coach
New graduate assistants are:
- Roland Brady III, assistant football coach
- Darrell Briggs Jr., assistant cross country/track and field coach
- Horacia Carryl, Ropp Hall director
- Nathan Carson, assistant football coach
- Austin Fields, assistant football coach
- Lauryn Foster-Wheeler, Center for Career and Vocation
- Haley Horstman, assistant women’s basketball coach
- Harry Kirwan, assistant men’s soccer coach
- Kaela Kovanda, assistant women’s soccer coach
- Samantha McTee, assistant athletic trainer
- Erin Weisgarber, assistant volleyball coach