Music Performance Scholarship
Are you a gifted musician graduating from high school in 2019? Do you have a GPA of at least 3.2 or scored a minimum of 22 ACT or 1050 SAT? If so, you are invited to compete for up to $21,000 in scholarships.
Bluffton University offers music scholarships of at least $2,000 for music majors,of $1,000 for music participants majoring in another field and a Music Performance Scholarship worth up to $21,000.
Music scholarships are based on an audition and interview with the music faculty. In order to be awarded a music scholarship, recipients must have applied and been accepted at Bluffton University.
MUSIC MAJOR SCHOLARSHIP
Awarded to new students, music majors only. These scholarships range from $2,000-$21,000 annually, and are based on both music performance and academic achievement. All instruments and voice parts are encouraged to apply.
Outstanding musicians who audition on or before Feb. 24, 2020, will be considered for the Music Performance Scholarship. Awards will be presented based on audition and academic scholarship.
MUSIC ENSEMBLE SCHOLARSHIP
Awarded to incoming students, non-music majors, based on an audition. These scholarships are $1,000 annually. Successful participation in the assigned ensemble is required each semester to continue to receive the scholarship. All instruments and voice parts are encouraged to apply.
2019-20 SCHEDULED AUDITION DATES FOR MUSIC MAJOR/ENSEMBLE SCHOLARSHIPS
Audition to qualify for Music Performance Scholarship, music major or music ensemble scholarships. Auditions are set for students entering Bluffton in fall 2020.
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019
- Monday, Nov. 11, 2019
- Saturday, Jan. 25, 2020
- Monday, Jan. 27, 2020
- Monday, Feb. 17, 2020
- Saturday, Feb. 22, 2020
- Monday, Feb. 24, 2020
APPLICATION PROCEDURE FOR MUSIC SCHOLARSHIPS
- Complete an application for admission to Bluffton University.
- Complete the online music scholarship application.
- Print a teacher recommendation and give to a teacher to submit (required for Music Major Scholarship only)
AUDITION PROCEDURES FOR MUSIC MAJOR/ENSEMBLE SCHOLARSHIPS
- Schedule an audition time with Roy Couch.
- Plan to perform two works of contrasting character. For instrumentalists this could include a fast and slow work, and/or pieces from different historical eras; vocalists may choose to perform one of their pieces in a foreign language.
- Audition music should not exceed ten minutes.
- You are encouraged to bring your own accompanist. In the event this is not possible, please contact Dr. Couch to make arrangements for an on-campus accompanist.
- A videotape of the audition may be made for purposes of adjudication.
- Dress appropriately for the performance and interview.
- Your audition is limited to two instruments - but be sure to tell us about other instruments you play!
- Detailed audition requirements and suggestions to prepare for your audition.
RENEWAL OF AWARD
Scholarships are renewable for an additional six semesters after the first year, as long as the following requirements are met:
- Grade point average of 2.5 is maintained.
- Positive participation in the appropriate choral and/or instrumental ensembles each semester.
We encourage you to audition early. Awards will be made through March 1. After March 1, please contact Roy Couch for scholarship availability.
Many endowed music scholarships make this financial support possible for music scholarships.