Outstanding prospective music majors are invited to compete for one of four $21,000 renewable scholarships.
Scholarships of $1,000 (for non-music majors) up to $21,000 (for music majors) are
awarded based on an audition and interview with the music faculty.
Music Performing Scholar scholarship
Are you a gifted musician planning on majoring in music, with a minimum GPA of 3.2
and at least a 22 ACT or 1100 SAT? Audition before April 1 to be considered for the
renewable $21,000 Music Performing Scholar scholarship.
MUSIC MAJOR SCHOLARSHIP
Scholarships ranging from $2,000-$6,000 are awarded to new students majoring in music, based on audition and academic achievement. All instruments and voice parts are encouraged to apply.
MUSIC ENSEMBLE SCHOLARSHIP
Do you enjoy performing but plan to major in something other than music? Scholarships of $1,000 are awarded to new non-music majors, based on an audition. Successful participation in the assigned ensemble is required each semester to continue to receive the scholarship. All instruments and voice parts are encouraged to apply.
Due to COVID-19, virtual auditions will be accepted this year. Virtual auditions can be live-streamed or recorded and should contain the same required elements as a live in-person audition, depending on what kind of scholarship is sought. Voice applicants must audition with accompaniment. A virtual, real-time interview is required. Scheduling for this is done through Dr. Couch.
In order to be awarded a music scholarship, recipients must have applied and been accepted at Bluffton University.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE FOR MUSIC SCHOLARSHIPS
- Complete an application for admission to Bluffton University.
- Complete the online music scholarship application.
- Print a teacher recommendation and give to a teacher to submit (required for Music Major Scholarship only)
AUDITION PROCEDURES FOR MUSIC SCHOLARSHIPS
- Schedule an audition time with Roy Couch.
- Plan to perform two works of contrasting character. For instrumentalists this could include a fast and slow work, and/or pieces from different historical eras; vocalists may choose to perform one of their pieces in a foreign language.
- Audition music should not exceed ten minutes.
- You are encouraged to bring your own accompanist. In the event this is not possible, please contact Dr. Couch to make arrangements for an on-campus accompanist.
- A videotape of the audition may be made for purposes of adjudication.
- Dress appropriately for the performance and interview.
- Your audition is limited to two instruments - but be sure to tell us about other instruments you play!
- Detailed audition requirements and suggestions to prepare for your audition.
RENEWAL OF AWARD
Scholarships are renewable for an additional six semesters after the first year - for a total of four years - as long as the following requirements are met:
- Grade point average of 2.5 is maintained.
- Positive participation in the appropriate choral and/or instrumental ensembles each
We encourage you to audition early. Awards will be made through April 1, 2021. After April 1, please contact Roy Couch for scholarship availability.
Many endowed music scholarships make this financial support possible for music scholarships.