Men's basketball coach
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The head coach will coordinate all aspects of the men’s basketball program including coaching, team management, organizing, planning and scheduling of both practices and performances, player development, mentoring/retaining student-athletes, monitoring academic progress of student-athletes, student-athlete recruiting, promotion of the program, budgeting. The alumni relations and fundraising strategies will be done at the direction of the advancement division. The head coach will demonstrate exemplary ethical conduct and possess a knowledge of and commitment to compliance with the rules of the NCAA, the Heartland Conference and Bluffton University.
- Maintains up-do-date knowledge of, and compliance with, Bluffton University, NCAA Division III, HCAC and NCAA rules and regulations.
- Acts as chief spokesperson for assigned sport.
- Schedules pre-season and in-season contests in consultation with the director of athletics.
- Organizes and conducts practices and conditioning sessions.
- Demonstrates concern for the academic, physical and emotional well-being of each team
- The Bluffton University Athletics Department has identified existing programming models and identified common habits and virtues that frame the unique Bluffton University student-athlete experience. These “habits of excellence” emphasize practice and align with Aristotelian virtues to form our virtue-driven athletics program.
- Actively encourages and supports the academic success of team members, including encouraging or ensuring regular class attendance, monitoring grades and working to minimize conflicts between athletic and academic responsibilities.
- Actively encourages and supports the physical well-being of team members by working with the training staff and other appropriate medical personnel to assure that the student-athletes are physically ready to participate, which includes looking for signs of eating disorders or the use of illegal and/or unhealthful drugs and supplements and taking appropriate preventive measures and establishing healthy workout and practice schedules.
- Actively encourages and supports the psychological and emotional well-being of team members, provides appropriate mentoring and life guidance, and seeks professional assistance when circumstances warrant.
- Coordinates the distribution, collection, and storage of athletic equipment, uniforms and supplies (during the season and at its conclusion) and the collection of fees for lost equipment and uniforms by student-athletes.
- Fields competitive teams when playing other NCAA Division III colleges and universities. This is to be assessed over a three-to-four-year time span. This will be measured by wins and losses, but other factors considered will be meeting recruiting goals, player retention and conduct on and off of the field of play.
- Works with the director of athletics and buildings and grounds staff to oversee the maintenance of practice and game venues.
- Hires and supervises staff according to established Bluffton University and Athletic Department procedures.
- Completes NCAA and federally mandated initial and ongoing Title IX training, fulfills Title IX reporting expectations and ensures participation of team athletes in all Title IX mandatory trainings.
- In partnership with the enrollment management division and working closely with both the athletics recruiter and the campus visit coordinator all aspects of the recruiting process from prospect ID to deposit and enrollment.
- Recruits’ student-athletes in line with university policy and NCAA Division III regulations. Works closely with the admissions department to this end.
- Develop retention goals in coordination with the university retention plan. Work closely with retention committee to achieve these goals.
- In consultation with the director of athletics, compliance officer, and the registrar’s office, assures that student-athletes are eligible to participate in athletics according to university and NCAA Division III regulations
- Adheres to budget guidelines established by the university.
- Works with the director of athletics, the university’s business office, buildings and grounds, and other offices as appropriate to purchase necessary sport-specific athletic equipment and supplies.
- Ensures safe and cost-effective travel to and from contests.
- The strategy and process of raising funds for assigned sport is driven by the advancement division and in consultation with the director of athletics.
- Actively participates in athletic department functions and meetings, and in university committees as assigned.
- Maintains effective working relationships with administrative staff, coaches, student-athletes and other staff.
- Performs related duties – which may include event management, teaching, committee representation, academic advising, and other duties assigned.
- Minimum qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree
- Prefer three (3) years of coaching experience at the collegiate level or successful head coach experience at the high school level.
- Special Skills: As a frequent representative of Bluffton University to the public and corporate community, the employee must have high ethical standards and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Be highly motivated with strong organizational skills, technology skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks are vital. Integrity and honesty in conveying program information and respect for prospective students are essential. Strong communication skills and organizational ability.
- Transportation: Dependable transportation and a valid driver’s license are required. Must be willing to travel.
- Master’s degree
- Collegiate basketball experience
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
- Must occasionally lift and/or move to up to 50 pounds.
- Involves evening and weekend hours.
Applications are considered complete when the following materials are received at the email indicated below:
- Letter of interest
- Completed Bluffton employment application
Please submit your cover letter, resume and employment application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Review of applications will begin immediately.Employment decisions are based on merit and university needs, and not on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law. As a religious institution, Bluffton University expressly reserves its rights to appoint faculty and staff who share a commitment to the Christian faith which is consistent with the Mennonite/Anabaptist beliefs of the university’s founding and supporting church. EOE.