Access Services Coordinator
Part-time, 20 hours per week
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The access services coordinator manages operations for library circulation, consortia resource sharing, interlibrary loan and course reserves. The position plays a key role in enhancing patron access to library services and collections and participates in relevant policy and program development, interpretation and application. The access services coordinator oversees the work of 10-15 student assistants and is responsible for hiring and training.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversees library circulation operations, including Circulation/Info desk functions and course reserves.
- Oversees OPAL/OhioLINK/Search Ohio borrowing and lending operations and traditional interlibrary loan operations.
- Oversees collection care for the circulating stacks by supervision of shelving, shifting, shelf-reading using Excel inventory lists and other maintenance.
- Serves as the hiring supervisor for library student employees in the Bluffton University Learn and Earn system. Verifies and approves library student employee timecards. Monitors student payroll to ensure budget compliance.
- Manages the hiring and training of library student assistants and library student supervisors. Holds periodic staff meetings for student employees.
- Schedules student employees library wide. Collaborates with library staff to ensure coverage for all areas of library operations.
Other library activities
- Oversees the library’s production area operations (bulletin board and document creation space).
- Oversees print periodicals check-in and shelving. Tracks and reports missing or damaged issues.
- Stays abreast of academic library trends and best practices through participation in associations and conferences, professional literature, mailing lists and continuing education.
- Collaborates with library colleagues in library-wide planning, events, program development and evaluation; attends library staff meetings. Meets regularly with the library director. Participates in the life of the Bluffton community through attendance at campus events.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of this job.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Prior experience in management or supervisory positions
- Demonstrated ability in teaching, training and/or supervising students
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work both independently and as part of a team
- Innovative approach to library outreach, programming and services
- Willingness to adapt to a rapidly changing environment and eagerness to learn new skills, including computer software and systems
- Commitment to the mission of the university and to values and goals for teaching and learning as part of a Christian academic community
- Relevant work experience in a public or academic library
- Experience with Sierra (Innovative Interfaces) or another integrated library system, especially the circulation and interlibrary loan modules, and with OCLC WorldShare Interlibrary Loan
- Knowledge of current trends and practices in library circulation and resource sharing
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Musselman Library is a multi-floor building with one passenger elevator. Because the elevator does not serve the front entry of the library, the central area of the lower level, and various stacks areas, the position requires frequent use of stairways. The position involves extended periods of time at a computer, lifting (15+ pounds) and bending, pushing a loaded book truck, moving furniture, and exposure to dust and other allergens. The position requires movement to various locations on campus and may involve trips away from campus to meetings and seminars. Not all of the library building has air conditioning, and there may be uncomfortable fluctuations in temperature with both cooling and heating.
Commensurate with education and experience within the university pay scale.
Position is available for immediate appointment.
Review of applications begins immediately and continues until an appointment is made.
Applications are considered complete when the following materials are received at the office indicated below:
- Letter of interest
- Three letters of reference submitted by the referees
- Official transcripts
- Completed Bluffton employment application
Send application materials to:
Carrie Phillips, Library Director
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817-2104