24 hours per week - occasional evening and/or weekend duties
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Responsible to assist with the care of campus grounds and athletic fields.
- Assist the lead groundskeeper in tasks and duties as requested.
- Maintain campus properties, including mowing, landscaping, tree trimming, weeding, trash removal and mulching.
- Maintain campus athletic fields and irrigation systems.
- Operate and maintain grounds equipment, including mowers, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, power washers and other power tools as needed.
- Work with the student grounds crew in maintaining campus properties during the summer months.
- Assist in moving campus furniture and equipment as requested.
- Apply fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides as needed and pending qualification.
- Assist in preparing for special campus events.
- Occasional evening and/or weekend duties (as determined by supervisor).
- Complete work order requests.
- Observe and follow workplace safety rules and guidelines.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
Professional learning and growth areas:
- Discovery: Demonstrates both job and professional knowledge, and continuously learns.
- Community: Actively collaborates, applies teamwork principles and communicates effectively.
- Respect: Values differences, works at resolving conflict, shows respect and builds trust.
- Service: Achieves needed results; quality and quantity. Takes responsibility, is dependable, and can manage multiple tasks effectively.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential responsibilities of this job.
- Education/Certification: High school diploma or equivalent degree, must have Ohio license for herbicide and pesticide application.
- Experience: experience and training in a related field.
- Skill/Abilities: Must have basic writing and verbal communication skills including ability to send and receive emails. Knowledge of various lawn care equipment and tools, ability to manage multiple tasks and attention to detail is a plus.
- Diversity & faith commitment: Bluffton University expects all employees to show respect in the workplace and not to base business decisions on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law. As a religious institution, Bluffton University welcomes its faculty and staff and encourages respectful consideration of the Christian faith which is consistent with the Mennonite/Anabaptist beliefs of the university’s founding and supporting church.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and/or work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by the employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions: Regularly required to stand, walk, climb and kneel. Often works in adverse weather conditions. Regularly operates campus vehicles and large mowing equipment. Frequent heavy lifting and/or moving. Frequent use of power tools and hand tools. Requires occasional trips off campus for job related activities.
Applications are considered complete when the following materials are received at the office indicated below:
- Letter of interest
- Completed Bluffton employment application
- College transcripts
Review of applications will begin immediately in order to fill this position as soon as possible.
Send application materials to:
Buildings and Grounds operations manager
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817-2104