Building maintenance generalist/landscaper
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The building maintenance generalist/landscaper will be responsible for a variety of general maintenance and landscaping tasks across campus. The person in this in this role will be expected to work both independently and as a team to perform a broad range of functions assigned by their supervisor.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead or assist in minor construction projects across campus. This will include alteration, preparation, painting and repairs to wood, plaster, concrete, brick and other materials.
- Lead or assist in minor electrical, plumbing and HVAC repairs and maintenance across campus.
- Lead or assist in the maintenance of the campus’ irrigation systems.
- Lead or assist in landscaping and grounds related functions across campus.
- Operate and maintain grounds equipment, including mowers, lifts, chainsaws, hedge trimmers, power washers and other power tools.
- Assist in maintaining the landscaping and grounds at the Nature Preserve.
- Assist in assembling and moving campus furniture and equipment as requested.
- Apply fertilizers, herbicides or insecticides as needed.
- Assist in preparing for special campus events.
- Observe and follow workplace safety rules and guidelines.
- Will be required to be on call and work overtime as assigned by their supervisor.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Supervise student employees to include training, planning and directing work.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of this job.
- Education: high school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience: 2-3 years’ experience in responsibilities noted above.
- Special skills: Must have basic writing and verbal communication skills, the ability to manage multiple tasks, and have attention to detail.
- Other: A valid Ohio driver’s license.
- Experience: 5 years’ experience in responsibilities noted above.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and/or work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by the employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Regularly required to stand, walk, climb and kneel. Often works in adverse weather conditions. Regularly operates campus vehicles and large mowing equipment. Frequent heavy lifting and/or moving. Frequent use of power tools and hand tools. Requires occasional trips off campus for job related activities.
Applications are considered complete when the following materials are received at the office indicated below:
- Letter of interest
- Completed Bluffton employment application
Please submit your cover letter, resume and employment application by email to email@example.com
Review of applications will begin immediately.Employment decisions are based on merit and university needs, and not on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law. As a religious institution, Bluffton University expressly reserves its rights to appoint faculty and staff who share a commitment to the Christian faith which is consistent with the Mennonite/Anabaptist beliefs of the university’s founding and supporting church. EOE.