Softball assistant coach
Position begins August 1, 2023, and ends May 31, 2025
Bluffton University is seeking motivated, organized and mature applicants to serve as the graduate assistant coach for women’s softball as well as additional responsibilities as assigned. The candidate must have strong background in softball along with exquisite communication, organizational and supervisory skills with the ability to show mature and responsible leadership and work well in a team environment. The successful candidate will embrace and promote the mission of Bluffton University and be the primary assistant softball coach.
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Acceptance into the graduate program
- Must submit to a criminal background check, subject to review and approval by Bluffton University
- Must have a valid driver’s license and be able to drive university vans
- Competed as a collegiate softball student-athlete at any level
- Interest in pursuing a career in coaching, sports management, leadership or the like.
- Efficient multi-tasking, time management and organizational skills
- Excellent communication and face to face interaction skills
(include but are not limited to the following)
- Weekend/weekday travel to softball tournaments
- Assist in organizing, scheduling and running practices
- Assist with monitoring academics and providing players with resources/solutions for academic success
- Communication with players via email, text messages or phone calls
- Recruiting efforts, including campus visits, traveling to travel ball events or high school tournaments, etc.
- Support head coach with fundraising efforts
- Assist with community service efforts
- Assist with management of social media accounts
Additional responsibilities may include:
- Event management responsibilities
- Assist the sports information director with game stats and web content
- Intramural coverage
- Be on your feet for extended periods of time
- Operate personal vehicle, school vehicles
- Work potentially long hours, including early mornings
- Lift and transport equipment up to 50 lbs.
- Employment runs from August-May, but some work may be required during June and July with recruiting, fundraising, summer camps, etc.
- 5-6 days per week, with time split between being on campus at Bluffton University
and travel to tournaments during the fall and spring seasons and any recruiting trips.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
- Compensation will include $5,000 for the academic year
- 12 days of time off, plus university holidays and approved time off during breaks
- Furnished housing. All utilities will be paid by the university.
- 20 Meal plan in the Commons provided when classes are in session.
- Degree obtained: Master of Business Administration/Master of Organizational Management, Master of Arts in Education or Master of Social Work
Applications are considered complete when all of the following materials have been submitted:
Bluffton University employment requirements
- Completed Bluffton employment application
- Cover letter
- Three professional references
Please combine your cover letter, resume, three professional references and any additional materials as one PDF file. Send as an attachment to email@example.com. Cover letters may be addressed to Paige Jansen, head softball coach.
Candidates will be contacted via email upon receipt of their resume. Candidates selected for interviews will be notified of the next step in the process.
Review of applications will begin immediately