Bluffton University offers three types of music scholarships, one for music majors, one for music participants majoring in another field and a Performing Scholar Competition scholarship.
The first two scholarships are based on an audition and interview with the music faculty. In order to be awarded a music scholarship, recipients must have applied and been accepted at Bluffton University.
Music Major Scholarship:
Awarded to new students, music majors only. These scholarships range from $2,000-$20,000 annually, and are based on both music performance and academic achievement. All instruments and voice parts are encouraged to apply. A Performing Scholar Competition will be held Feb. 23-24, 2013, to determine the top music scholarships.
Music Ensemble Scholarship:
Awarded to new students, non-music majors, based on an audition. These scholarships are $1,000 annually. Continuous ensemble participation is required to be eligible for the scholarship. All instruments and voice parts are encouraged to apply.
- Complete an application for admission to Bluffton University.
- Complete the online music scholarship application or print a hard copy for submission.
- Print a teacher recommendation and give to a teacher to submit.
- Schedule an audition time with Mark Suderman.
- Plan to perform two works of contrasting character. For instrumentalists this could include a fast and slow work, and/or pieces from different historical eras; vocalists may choose to perform one of their pieces in a foreign language.
- Audition music should not exceed ten minutes.
- You are encouraged to bring your own accompanist. In the event this is not possible, please contact Dr. Suderman to make arrangements for an on-campus accompanist.
- A videotape of the audition may be made for purposes of adjudication.
- Dress appropriately for the performance and interview.
- Your audition is limited to two instruments - but be sure to tell us about other instruments you play!
- Detailed audition requirements and suggestions to prepare for your audition.
Renewal of award
Scholarships are renewable for an additional six semesters after the first year, as long as the following requirements are met:
- Grade point average of 2.5 is maintained.
- Positive participation in the appropriate choral and/or instrumental ensembles each semester.
We encourage you to audition early. Awards will be made through March 1. After March 1, please contact Mark Suderman or Jodi Diller for scholarship availability.
Many endowed music scholarships make this financial support possible for music scholarships.
Auditions for music major or music ensemble scholarships for students entering Bluffton
in fall 2013 will be held Feb. 18, Feb. 23 and March 1, 2013.
>>> audition requirements
a Successful audition
Just as you prepare for the ACT or SAT, you need to prepare for your audition. A high
quality performance will maximize your chances of receiving one of our scholarships.
Are you a gifted musician graduating from high school with a GPA of at least 3.2 (or
scored a minimum of 22 ACT or 1050 SAT)? If so, compete for up to $20,000 in scholarships on Feb. 23.
>>> more info