Marbeck Center Policies
- Persons or groups should refrain from actions disrupting Marbeck Center's desired atmosphere. Distasteful or objectionable displays of affection are discouraged.
- Lounge areas are for sitting, studying and conversation. Please refrain from placing feet on furniture, lying or sleeping in Marbeck Center.
- All are urged to help keep Marbeck clean.
- Food and beverages should be kept in their proper places. Items purchased in the snack shop should be kept in the Bob's Place or Loft. Unauthorized food and beverages are not permitted in the Gallery lounge.
- Equipment and furnishings are not to be removed without the permission of the Director of Marbeck Center.
- Only authorized personnel shall operate the sound system.
- Only authorized personnel are permitted behind the information desk or in the mailroom.
- Shirt and shoes should be worn at all times in Marbeck Center.
- The Director of Marbeck Center is open to any student, faculty, staff or community
member who wishes to offer suggestions or comments.
Room and Space Reservations
Many rooms and spaces are available in Marbeck Center for student, faculty, staff and community use. These areas can be reserved at the Marbeck information desk, by phone at ext. 3216 or via e-mail at Marbeck@bluffton.edu. The following areas may be reserved. If applicable, the capacity of each room is listed in parenthesis.
- 1899 Room (10)
- Purple & White Room (18)
- Kreider Room (80)
- Consultation Room (10)
- Room A/B (30)
- Commons (445)
- Bob's Place
- Agora Alcove
- Pilgram Alcove
- The Spot
Rooms and space are reserved on a first come first serve basis. Marbeck Center reserves the right to reassign space if necessary. The Commons may not be reserved for activities when lunch is being served. Bob's Place may not be reserved for private functions while school is in session, unless approved by the Director of Marbeck Center.
- Any official college organization or activity may reserve a bulletin board.
- Bulletin Boards must be reserved for a specified period of time.
- The reserving party is responsible for removing all materials from the bulletin board at the end of the reservation period.
Table Tent Reservations
Table tents may be reserved at the Marbeck information desk. These 60 table tents are 4" x 7" plastic sign holders that may be placed on tables in the Commons & Bob's Place. They may be used to publicize campus events or other information to the campus community.
- Any official college organization or activity may reserve the table tents.
- Table tents may only be used to publicize a student organization event, activity or college related information.
- Table tents may be reserved for a maximum of 10 days.
- The reserving party is responsible for returning the table tents to the Marbeck information desk within 24 hours of the ending reservation date.
- Organizations will be charged $3 for any table tents not returned.
- All organizational publicity to be displayed should be approved at the Marbeck information desk.(See Publicity Policies)
Window Reservations (Bob's Place)
The windows in Bob's Place may be reserved at the Marbeck information desk. They may be painted to publicize campus events or other information to the campus community within the following guidelines.
There are 2 sections of windows that can be reserved. The SOUTH windows are those windows at the game room end of Bob s Place. The EAST windows are those that run along the sidewalk and Little Riley Creek. Please make sure you know which windows you have reserved BEFORE you paint.
- Windows may be reserved for up to 2 weeks.
- Windows may only be painted with water-based paint.
- The windows must be washed within 24 hours after the event.
- Windows should be washed with soap and water. A bucket, soap, sponge mop, squeegee and scraper can all be provided by Marbeck Center. Please make arrangements with the Marbeck Center Custodian, Larry Maynard.
- Please make sure that all paint is cleaned off of windows and window sills.
- There will be a $50 cleaning charge assessed to the reserving organization if the
above expectations are not met.
Recreation Equipment Reservations
Students, faculty & staff may check out recreational equipment from Marbeck Center. Table tennis, pool, foosball, dart and carpetball equipment are available for use and check out in Bob's Place. Basketballs, volleyballs, playground balls & softballs are also available for use and may be checked out at the Marbeck Center Information Desk.
The following policies apply for recreation equipment use:
- Equipment may only be checked out with a valid Bluffton ID or driver's license.
- Equipment may not be checked out overnight without the permission of the Director or Assistant Director of Marbeck Center.
Mailboxes - Mailboxes for all students, faculty and staff are located in Marbeck Center. Those who have not been notified of their mailbox number prior to the start of classes should contact the Mailroom Manager at the Marbeck information desk. Students are asked to have incoming mail addressed is the following manner:
Bluffton University (box number)
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817
- Students are notified of receiving packages by a package card being placed in their mailbox.
- Packages may be picked up at the Marbeck information desk.
- Packages may be picked up between 8 a.m. and 11 p.m. daily.
- During vacation periods, mail is held in the mailroom until student return to campus.
- During the summer of after a student leaves the college, all first class mail is forwarded to the home address listed in the student directory or to a new address if a "Change of Address" form is completed and submitted to the mailroom manager.
- All bulk mail and magazines will be discarded unless other instructions are given.
- Bulk mail may be forwarded by filling out a "Change of Address" form and pay any postage due.
- Daily or weekly newspapers are discarded during breaks unless a request is made to
have them held or forwarded.
For the purposes of the policy regarding the placement of stuffers in student, faculty or staff mailboxes in Marbeck Center, a stuffer is defined as unaddressed (no name & box number) campus mail that is designated to be placed in all mailboxes or large groups of mailboxes.
- Only stuffers or surveys from Bluffton University student organizations, academic departments or administrative offices will be placed in mailboxes through the campus mail system.
- Surveys will only be distributed if they are part of a Bluffton University academic course assignment or approved by the administration.
- All surveys must be approved by the Bluffton University Institutional Review Board (IRB).
- The Director of Marbeck Center or his/her designee must approve all stuffers.
- Individual area businesses will not be allowed to have stuffers placed in mailboxes. They may request to have materials placed in a common area for distribution to the campus community.
- Area churches are allowed one stuffer per academic year
- Stuffers must be no less than 3 inches (7.5 cm) on any one side.
- All organizational publicity to be displayed in Marbeck Center should be approved at the Marbeck information desk.
- Publicity may only be posted on designated bulletin boards or above the conveyor belt in the Commons.
- Publicity may NOT be posted on glass or doors.
- Publicity found in undesignated areas will be removed.
- Posters may be displayed 10 days in advance of the planned event, although special arrangements may be made if necessary.
- Individuals or organizations are responsible for removing all publicity within 24 hours after the event.
- All notices must be dated. Notices without dates will be taken down.
- Sellers are responsible for crossing off items that are sold.
- Notices will be removed every two months.