May Day royalty and dancers
May Day royalty, dancers named
Bluffton University’s annual May Day ceremony will take place at 1:30 p.m. Saturday, May 4, and will include the traditions of the crowning of a king and queen and the Maypole dance by first-year students.
Filling the roles of king and queen this year are seniors Jayden Groppi of Parma, Ohio, and Taylor Aurand of Traverse City, Mich.
Groppi is majoring in business administration and minoring in youth ministries. He is a pastoral assistant, custodian and student mentor on campus while working part time off campus. His parents are David and Belinda Groppi.
Aurand is majoring in food and nutrition. She is the president of the Student Alumni Association, a member of Bluffton University Nutrition Association (BUNA), spent a semester in Guatemala and runs cross country and track. Her parents are Dennis Aurand and Cara Bagley-Aurand.
Undergraduate students chosen to participate in the Maypole dance include:
- Wearing red is Derek Siefer, a history education major from Ottawa, Ohio, and the son of Jon and Lisa Siefer, and Hope Nixon, a nutrition and dietetics major from Johnstown, Ohio, and the daughter of Bruce and Diana Nixon.
- Wearing orange is Elijah NcNeal, a convergent media major and public relations minor from Cincinnati, Ohio, and the son of Hezekiah and Nichole McNeal, and Tayvin Tyler, an early childhood education and intervention specialist double major from Defiance, Ohio, and the daughter of Jim and Lori Tyler.
- Wearing yellow is Austin Hernandez, a sport management major from Marion, Ohio, and the son of Richmond and Misty Burton, and Brianna Keeler, a social work major and communication and youth ministry minor from Bluffton, Ohio, and the daughter Randy and Karen Keeler.
- Wearing green is Chase Masters, a pre-chiropractic major from West Unity, Ohio, and the son of Phil and Karen Masters. He is accompanied by Emily Clawson, a speech-language pathology and audiology major from Troy, Ohio, and daughter of Dave and Krystal Clawson.
- Wearing aqua is Emily Hamel, a pre-med and biology double major from Ottawa, Ohio, and the daughter of Mike and Jean Hamel, and Mikayla Tressler, an early childhood education and intervention specialist double major from Defiance, Ohio, and the daughter of Mike and Robyn Tressler.
- Wearing blue is Jeremy Locklear, a food and nutrition major from Lincoln Park, Mich., and the son of Jeremy and Jennifer Locklear. He is accompanied by Veronika Stafa, a biology major from Albania, and the daughter of Ligor and Gjelina Stafa.
- Wearing lavender is Adam Byram, a history major from Fort Recovery, Ohio, and the son of Jerry and Carol Byram, and Eryn Litmer, a nutrition and dietetics major from Fort Recovery, Ohio, and the daughter of Ed and Denise Litmer.
- Wearing purple is Evan Burden, a music education major from Sidney, Ohio, and the son of Tim and Jill Burden. He is accompanied by Grace Zachrich, an intervention specialist and early childhood education double major from Holgate, Ohio, and the daughter of Ryan and Stephanie Zachrich.
-Aubrey Bartel, public relations student assistant