|The name of this church alludes to its function as a monument to those who died in a fire in 1811 in the Richmond Theater formerly on this site. The church as grave is octagonal with a dome. Symbols in the interior suggest mourning: inverted torches on the black marble columns at the altar and abstract "capitals" like sarcophagi which support the balcony. This church served an Episcopal parish until 1965. It is now owned by the Historic Richmond Foundation.|
|The columns are fluted only at the top and bottom; thus, the fluting serves as a "capital" and "base."|
|The portico serves as the memorial with unusual symbols--the lacrimals (tear vials) in the frieze.|
Looking up and the back
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.