Social media and graphic designer
Full time, 12-months
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The social media manager and graphic designer is responsible for maintaining a number of social media accounts for Bluffton University and serves a graphic designer in the Public Relations office. They will also assist the Marketing Manager in executing Bluffton’s digital marketing strategy. In addition, they assist with designing print projects, serve as a photographer and videographer for a variety of institutional needs, will produce videos and is the primary graphic artist for Bluffton University athletics.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Social media manager:
- Serve as the primary social media manager for Bluffton University, including content creation/graphic design, production and posting/execution based on the strategy and content calendar set by the Marketing Manager.
- Understand Instagram Reels and TikTok’s algorithm and culture: trends, challenges, usage of hashtags, filters, music usage, functionalities, guidelines and best practices.
- Drive growth and engagement on all platforms, including analytics reporting on a weekly/monthly basis.
- Manage the President’s Office social media accounts, including meeting with the Director of the President’s Office monthly to determine content.
- Build, export, organize and archive creative assets including GIFs, slideshows, short videos, etc.
- Benchmark and monitor competitor and industry leader content to suggest best practices and new ideas to the Marketing Manager.
- Collaborate with Creative Director and Production Coordinator on translating project concepts into compelling visual designs based on marketing objectives and the annual project list, including the design of digital and print materials for departments across campus.
- Build and design email campaigns with CRM software to assist with recruitment.
- Design graphics and produce recruitment materials to promote athletic teams and athletics department.
- Design digital and print ads, graphics used in videos and serve as the primary campus t-shirt designer.
- Collaborate with Content Manager on video scripts and overall tone to ensure brand quality.
- Conceptualize and create Instagram Reels, IGTVs, TikToks, short-form YouTube videos (especially as hype videos for athletics teams).
- Lead the creation and development of real-time content and coverage of live events.
- Develop shot lists for photo and video content for usage across all institutional materials and serve as a team photographer.
- Manage athletic media days and post-production and serve as game-day photographer for all teams.
OCCASIONAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serve as back up to the Bluffton University web master.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor.
- Support and train public relations student workers as needed.
- Saturday commitments and occasional evening/weekend work.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of this job.
- Education and/or Experience: Bachelor’s degree at minimum. Prior experience in digital content creation, graphic design, photography and videography, and web design/management.
- Skilled in social media platform usage, including Instagram, TikTok, YouTube, Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn.
- Experience in photography and post-production, including knowledge in Lightroom and Photoshop.
- Knowledgeable in Adobe Creative Suite, Final Cut Pro or other video editing software, Constant Contact or email campaign software.
- Special Skills: As a frequent representative of Bluffton University to the public and corporate community, the employee must have high ethical standards and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Be highly motivated with strong organizational skills, technology skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks are vital. Candidate must be friendly, outgoing, self-motivated, able to delegate and have excellent written and verbal skills. Candidate must also be computer literate in Microsoft Office, Excel and Word.
- Education and/or Experience: 1-3 years of prior digital content creation and graphic design experience or other college related work.
- Understanding of the liberal arts, private college environment within a Christian setting.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by the employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Public presentations may involve transporting and handling display materials of up to 40 pounds. Capable of general mobility around campus and meeting sites.
Applications are considered complete when the following materials are received at the office indicated below:
- Letter of interest
- Completed Bluffton employment application
Send application materials to:
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817-2104