Director of Residence Life
Full time, 8 a.m.-5 p.m., 12 month; weekend and evening hours required
The director of residence life provides creative vision, leadership, training, supervision and coordination for an innovative and comprehensive residence life experience that includes six residences halls and two apartment units serving approximately 700 students. The director of residence life is responsible for overseeing the residential and community life on campus, plays an integral role in the formation of students and sets the tone for much of the student experience outside the classroom. The director will serve as a key resource and advocate for the holistic development of all students and create a safe, welcoming and diverse environment within the residence halls.
- Recruits, selects, trains and supervises graduate interns, undergraduate hall directors and resident advisors in the areas of programming for student social, emotional, intellectual and spiritual development, conflict management, campus safety, crisis management and living in a diverse community.
- Assists with the administration of the student conduct system.
- Coordinates all aspects of student housing including room/roommate assignments, maintenance needs, renovations and future planning.
- Respond to student mental health crises and refer accordingly to campus counselor for mental health assessment and suicide risk assessment.
- Supervise room check-in, check-out and charges for damages
- Coordinates and supervises resident advisor programming, budgets, incident reports and addresses all behavioral issues concerning residential staff.
- Meets with resident advisors and hall directors individually and as a group to address issues and incorporate training as needed / requested.
- Collaborates with director of student engagement in an effort to foster a vibrant and engaging culture within the residence halls that programming needs and student activities are appropriate and educational.
- Collaborates with campus colleagues on retention and our new Belonging initiative.
- Actively support and participate in student affairs. Participate in campus and community committees as needed.
- Coordinates with Buildings and Grounds regarding maintaining residence halls.
- Serves in on call function in rotation and is available for evening and weekend duties as needed
Occasional duties and responsibilities
Serves as an active member of the student life division including planning and implementation of divisional programming.
- Works with faculty and the Office of Student Engagement to create and implement campus-wide student life programming.
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential responsibilities of this job.
Bachelor’s degree required in student personnel/higher education preferred or related/comparable experiences.
Demonstrated effective communication skills and ability to solve problems and work effectively with diverse individuals.
Patience and high level of energy.
Ability to organize and coordinate people, activities and events.
Previous residence life staff experience (or equivalent) highly desirable.
- Master’s degree preferred in student personnel/higher education preferred or related/comparable experiences.
- Mediation or restorative justice training, certification and/or experience preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
- Hold a valid driver’s license.
- Ability to lift 10-20 lbs. as needed.
- Ability to go up and down stairs.
- Involves evening and weekend hours.
Applications are considered complete when the following materials are received at the office indicated below:
- Letter of interest
- Resume or vita
- Three letters of reference
- Completed Bluffton employment application
Send application materials to:
VP of Student Affairs and Athletics
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817-2104