Admissions Counselor for the Local Territory
Full time, 12-months
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The position of admissions counselor at Bluffton requires a self-motivated person with strong interpersonal and group communication skills, who possesses a competitive spirit and sales orientation for the recruitment of students and for providing excellent customer service.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- This position will be assigned to the local territory, which includes all high schools in a 50 mile radius to Bluffton.
- Manage an assigned recruitment territory to meet or exceed established goals for students in the following areas: campus visits, applications received, accepted students and enrolled students.
- Manage an assigned recruitment territory to meet additional established goals in the following populations: out of state students, minority students and Mennonite students.
- Plan and implement a travel itinerary within an assigned territory approximately 9 weeks in the fall and 3-4 weeks in the spring for recruitment purposes.
- Coordinate church and high school visits.
- Conduct campus interviews with prospective students and parents.
- Frequent evening hours telephoning students and talking with parents.
- Supervise student interns.
- Represent Bluffton at college fairs, conferences and other functions.
- Maintain contact with various university constituencies including prospective students and parents, guidance counselors, alumni, etc.
- Assist at 8-10 Saturday admissions functions (Discovery Day, Presidential Scholarship Competition, etc.) throughout the year.
- Other admissions responsibilities as assigned.
- Provides exceptional customer service.
- Communicates effectively with the VP and team regarding daily on and off campus work schedules.
- Supervise regular and student employees to include interviewing, hiring, training, planning, assigning and directing work, coaching, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Must have a mindset of mentoring employees under supervision. Should be able to lead in a way that sets a good example, promotes teamwork and encourages a positive, efficient work environment.
Hire and train student interns. Organize receptions for accepted students. Attend professional conferences. Serve on various university committees.
PROFESSIONAL LEARNING AND GROWTH AREAS:
- Discovery: Demonstrates both Job and professional knowledge, and continuously learns.
- Community: Actively collaborates, applies teamwork principles and communicates effectively.
- Respect: Values differences, works at resolving conflict, shows respect and builds trust.
- Service: Achieves needed results; quality and quantity. Takes responsibility, is dependable, and can manages multiple tasks effectively.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of this job.
- Education/ Certification: Bachelor’s degree required.
- Experience: Some prior experience in recruiting, sales, and/or marketing.
- Special Skills: As a frequent representative of Bluffton University to the public and corporate community, the employee must have high ethical standards and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Be highly motivated with strong organizational skills, technology skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks are vital. Integrity and honesty in conveying program information and respect for prospective students are essential.
- Transportation: Dependable transportation and a valid driver’s license are required. Must be willing to travel.
- Diversity & Faith Commitment: Bluffton University expects all employees to show respect in the workplace and not to base business decisions on race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other status protected by law. As a religious institution, Bluffton University welcomes its faculty and staff and encourages respectful consideration of the Christian faith which is consistent with the Mennonite/Anabaptist beliefs of the university’s founding and supporting church.
- Experience: Two years prior admissions experience or other college related work. Thorough understanding of the liberal arts, private college environment within a Christian setting.
- Skills/Abilities: Computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, and familiarity with various internet applications are a plus.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment encountered by the employee while performing the essential functions of this job must be met with or without reasonable accommodations. Reasonable accommodations will be considered and implemented with possible to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Secondary responsibilities may be removed when needed as an accommodation strategy.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by the employee while performing essential functions of this job. This position involves frequent travel by car for the purpose of public presentations and meetings. Public presentations may involve transporting and handling display materials of up to 40 pounds. Parking areas are not always convenient to the meeting location. Capable of general mobility around campus and meeting sites.
Applications are considered complete when the following materials are received at the office indicated below:
- Letter of interest
- Completed Bluffton employment application
Send application materials to:
Attn: Robin Bowlus
Vice president for enrollment management
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817-2104