The south portico"Up the south portico's fifteen marble steps and to the right of the door are bronze plaques in memory of those students and alumni who lost their lives in the military service of the Confederacy and those who gave their lives for freedom in 'The World War.' To the left of the door, a bronze marker commemorates Woodrow Wilson's two years, 1879-81, as a student at the university" (Hogan 28).
Left: south portico capital (replaced after the fire of 1895); center and right: capital from the AnnexThe lower garden of pavilion IV has a square cast-iron Corinthian capital from the north portico of the Rotunda Annex, which survived the fire of 1895. Unlike the capitals of the south portico, which were Carrara marble, the portico on the far side facing University Avenue had cast-iron Corinthian columns.
The gymnasium wingsOn the south side of the Rotunda the two long wings (below ground) provide exercise space. This gymnasium space is lighted by semi-circular or lunette windows with fanlight panes.
Go to Thomas Jefferson Architecture Index.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.