Left: View from Mulberry Row; center: view toward Montalto
The vegetable garden with view toward MontaltoAlthough Jefferson designed several observation towers, this one is not original. Although these gardens are reconstructed, the first vegetable garden in 1774 on the south terraces just above the orchard was 668 by 80 feet, indicating how much food was needed for a staff which included at one point eighty-six slaves (Adams 154).
|Located below the vegetable gardens were orchards and vineyards. The orchards had peaches, pears, pomegranates, apples, nectarines, apricots and figs and the vineyards grew both wine and table grapes.|
Go to Thomas Jefferson Architecture Index.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.