|Sixteen statues, four on each side, were originally in niches on the third order of the Campanile. Already considerably damaged by the elements after centuries of weathering, the statues were transferred to the Duomo Museum in 1937. The ones below are from the east side of the Campanile, which were installed about 1422.|
The Beardless ProphetThis statue is thought by some to be a portrait of Brunelleschi. It is a strikingly realistic portrait of an elderly man.
The Bearded ProphetThis work is also known as Il Penserioso because of the thoughtful look of the figure.
Abraham and IsaacNanni di Bartolo, known as Rosso, who was Donatello's assistant, is also cited as a collaborator of this work.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.