|This chapel was the gift of the Bishop of Ely, Matthew Wren, a Fellow of Pembroke College and uncle to Christopher Wren. It is the first completed building by Christopher Wren, who was Professor of Astronomy at Oxford at the time of the commission. His Sheldonian Theatre there is contemporary with this chapel. This was the first college chapel at either Oxford or Cambridge devoid of medieval features.|
Views of the nave wall with the stone addition of one bay
The cupola and one of the windows in the naveThe plan is a simple rectangle with four bays, each with a round-headed window with a projecting lintel and a foliate keystone and brackets. The wooden cupola is hexagonal.
Pedimented niche in the added bayIn 1880 George Gilbert Scott restored the chapel and extended it an additional bay to the east. At the same time, he exposed the underlying red brickwork on the nave walls of the Wren section.
View from Trumpington StreetEach end of the gabled roof becomes a pediment, embellished with a cartouche and garlands. The roof line is emphasized with large urns. Four Corinthian pilasters support a wide entablature.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.