HEALTH CARE SERVICES:
- Primary care services are provided, which means these are similar to those services available at your family doctor's office.
- Diagnose and treat acute health problems; i.e. infections and injuries.
- Provide some commonly used over-the-counter medications for health conditions.
- Manage stable chronic diseases when students are on campus: i.e. diabetes, hypertension and migraine.
- Order and interpret diagnostic studies such as lab work and radiology studies.
- Prescribe medication, refill "most" prescription medications and prescribe physical therapy.
- Provide physical exams and complete Ohio Jobs and Family Services forms for various school functions and classes; i.e. Early Childhood Classes and study abroad. (This service DOES NOT include athletic physical exams that MUST be completed by the student's doctor of choice.)
- Provide consult and CDC recommendations for foreign travel.
- Read TB skin testing.
- Refer complicated medical conditions to area specialists.
- Suture removal and wound care.
- Loan of crutches and wheelchair, if needed.
- Provide counseling or information on health-related issues.
- Work closely in conjunction with the Bluffton University Counseling Services to provide support and treatment for mental health issues.
- Provide ER physician phone consult during clinic hours.
Services NOT provided at the Student Health Clinic:
- Dispensing of prescription medications, including pain medication and stimulants, directly from the clinic.
- Student intercollegiate athletic physicals, which MUST be completed by a PHYSICIAN only.
- Allergy injections - due to the potential for severe anaphylactic reactions. These can be arranged through the Bluffton Hospital Emergency department at 419-358-9010. Ask for emergency department.
- Immunizations - due to the increased costs to students that can be reduced by using
a local health department for these services. These need to be completed BEFORE coming
to campus for your well-being as well as the health of your fellow students, faculty
LOCAL HEALTH DEPARTMENTS
If immunizations are needed, these area health departments do offer immunization clinics. It is recommended to call before going to the health department to find out available times and dates of service.
Allen County Health Department
219 E. Market St.
Lima, Ohio 45801
Hancock County Health Department
1644 Tiffin Ave.
Findlay, Ohio 45840
139 Garau St.
Bluffton, Ohio 45817
125 N. Main St.
Bluffton, Ohio 45817