Break, summer and cross-cultural housing
Housing is available for you if you are unable to go home for breaks during the academic year, summer or before your cross-cultural experience. Students have stayed on campus because they work either at the university or in the community, home is too far away or they have athletic commitments.
Housing accommodations will be made for students with demonstrated reasons to stay on campus through fall, winter or spring break.
For security reasons, all exterior doors will remain locked on a 24-hour basis. In addition, regular visitation hours, as listed in the handbook, will be observed. All campus policies will remain in effect and will be enforced over break.
Once you have completed the Extended Stay Form at my.bluffton.edu, you will be contacted by student life with approval confirmation and further details. If you have any questions, please contact the office at 419-358-3247 or email email@example.com.
Summer housing for students will be in the Riley Court Apartments. *Students applying for summer housing may not have any holds. In order to be placed in summer housing, a student’s previous bill must be paid. If extenuating circumstances exist, please e-mail director of residence life, Kevin Williams, at firstname.lastname@example.org regarding financial holds only. In order to remain in summer housing, students must pay their summer bill on time.
The standard rate for summer housing is $330 per month. Students interested in a single room within the apartments for summer only can pay $500 per month to have a single room. All residents must pay the full rate each month of summer housing regardless of their work status.
Students who live on campus during the summer may elect to eat in Marbeck Commons when they offer food service. Students may pay cash or use Beaver Bucks. Bluffton does not offer a summer meal plan.
Due to space limitations, the student life office may not be able to grant all summer housing requests. Applications will be given priority based on the following criteria:
- Registered for summer class
- Working for university
- International Bluffton student
- Working in the community
Questions about summer housing can be directed to the student life office, by emailing email@example.com.
Policy and procedures regarding housing for students after commencement who will be going on cross cultural experiences in May.
Due to our need to begin cleaning residence halls for conferences and for security and staffing considerations, students will need to vacate campus if they live within a reasonable distance from campus and their experience is not leaving until later in the week. If an experience leaves early in the morning later in the week, we are asking that those in the area be willing to house others from out of town for the night as we will not be able to house them for one night on campus.
Students going on cross cultural experiences that will be allowed to remain living in the residence halls on campus after 9 p.m. Sunday night, May 5, (official check out time for all students) will need to fit one of the following criteria:
- Experience leaves on the Monday following graduation on Sunday (those who live locally, we are still asking to vacate campus please)
- Experience leaves later in the week and the student lives more than a three hour drive from campus.
If you are a student who fits one of these criteria and so qualify to stay on campus, you will need to do the following please:
- Fill out the extended-stay housing form - found on the my.bluffton.edu residence life page to let us know you would like to remain in the halls (we need this for security and emergency information so we know everyone who is on campus at any time). If you remain on campus and have not filled out this form, you will be charged $50.
- You will need to officially check out of your residence hall room with your HD or RA BEFORE 9pm the Sunday night of graduation (May 5). This means you will need to have your room cleaned and things packed or placed in storage so that the staff can check for damages and room condition. HD and RA's will not be available after that time to do official check outs so if you do not check out by that time, you will incur a $50 fee. Check out times will not be available Monday morning.
For security reasons, I would encourage you to have someone drop you off and not keep your car on campus while you are gone. If you need leave your car, I would encourage you to find an alternate location with someone you know to park it. This would allow someone to watch the vehicle more closely than we can on campus (we do tour the lots but cannot do this the same amount as if it were at someone's house).
If you have questions, please contact Kevin Williams at 419-358-3376 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org