Tennis Rules & Registration
- Intramural tennis is played on the courts near Lincoln and Hirschy Annex. Each match is best of 3 sets.
- Must win a set by 2. If there is a 6-6 set there will be a tiebreaker, which is first to 7 points.
- There will be a 50 minute limit.
- Teams will consist of two players and should be coed. There will be no substitutes.
- Racquets and tennis balls need to be provided by the players.
- Players will have 10 minutes to warm up.
- Traditional tennis scoring will be used. The scoring starts out with love or 0. Each point won results in either a score of 15, 30, 40 or deuce. Deuce is when the score is tied at 40-40.
- A coin toss will be used to determine who serves first.
- The serve must be behind the baseline and the server's foot cannot cross the line. The serve is made diagonally to the other service court or front square on the other side.
- If the first serve does not make it over the net this is called a fault and a second serve is granted. If the second serve also misses it is a double fault and the point is awarded to the other player. If the first serve touches the net but lands within the opponent's designated service box this is known as a let serve. When this occurs, the serve is replayed.
- The ball is IN if it hits any part of the white line.
- If during a rally the ball hits the net and goes over into the opponent's court the ball is in play.
- There will be no timeouts during the match unless there is an injury.
- There will be breaks in between odd numbered games when the players will switch sides of the court.
- Shirt and tennis shoes must be worn at all times. Hats are permitted.
- No throwing of racquets. Result is an immediate ejection.
- No walking behind a court while someone else is playing.