Object of Game
The object of the game is to eliminate all opposing players by getting them "OUT". This may be done by:
- Hitting an opposing player with a thrown ball.
- Catching a ball thrown by your opponent before it touches the ground.
- ALL GAME TIMES ARE FORFEIT TIMES!
- A 10 minute time limit has been established for each contest. If neither team has been eliminated at the end of the 10 minutes, the team with the greater number of players remaining will be declared the winner.
- Players will take their positions behind their teams' endline. After a signal by the intramural staff, teams approach the centerlines to retrieve the balls.
- Balls must be taken back across the endlines before they can be thrown at an opposing player. If the ball is not taken behind the endline before it is thrown, the throw will not count.
- Players then attempt to eliminate members of the opposing team by tagging them with the ball. If a player is hit with any ball that has not yet touched the floor, that player is "out."
- Play continues until one team is eliminated. At that point, the intramural staff calls time.
- There will be a 2 minute sudden death in overtime if the score should be tied at the end of the 10 minutes.
Rules of Play
- There will be 6 people playing per team during the game.
- Each team must have a minimum of 2 women on the floor to start the game.
- There will be NO substitutions or time-outs allowed.
- There will be 6 balls in play for a 12 player game.
- Non-Marking soled shoes must be worn.
- Uniforms are considered part of a player's body. If part of a uniform gets hit, the player is considered "out."
- If a defender catches a "live" thrown ball, the thrower is out.
- If a defender attempts to catch a live ball, but drops it, the defender is out.
- The defender may block a live ball with another ball, that ball is still considered a live ball however, until it hits the floor, wall or ceiling.
- If a blocking ball is dropped as a result of contact from a live ball, then the player who drops the ball is out.
- A player may block a live ball, then throw the blocking ball down, and catch a live ball.
- A player shall not leave the playing field to avoid being hit or in attempt to catch a ball.
- Players who have been called out cannot retrieve stray balls for their teammates, or that ball will be given to the other team.
- A player who catches a ball has a 10 second verbal count by the intramural staff in which to throw the ball. Failure to throw the ball within the 10 seconds results in a loss of possession.
- It is illegal for the leading team to control all the balls for more than 10 seconds. A violation will result in intramural staff stopping play, and the balls will be divided evenly.
- Unsportsmanlike conduct will result in immediate dismissal from the game.
- Participants under the influence of alcohol will be dismissed.
Code of Conduct
- Understand, appreciate and abide by the rules of the game and the honor system.
- Respect the integrity and judgment of game officials and Intramural Sports staff.
- Respect your opponent and congratulate them in a courteous manner following each game, whether in victory or defeat.
- Be responsible for your actions and maintain self control.
- Do not taunt or bait opponents. Refrain from use of foul or abusive language.