Portfolios: Getting Started
Why use a portfolio?
- To showcase and provide evidence of your abilities in an interview - make yourself stand out from other applicants.
- To provide a visual tool to help an interviewer remember you. If an interviewer asks "Why should I hire you?" or "What are your strengths?" you can say, "Let me show you."
- Start collecting material for your portfolio NOW.
- Gather and organize all of your materials, then select representative materials of your best work.
- Look at other portfolios for ideas.
- Do not wait and construct it all at one time.
- Do it in steps; work on one section at a time.
- Make an outline of your material.
- Layout the portfolio in a sensible order - by order of importance, chronological order or theme areas.
- Keep your portfolio accessible and manageable at all times.
- Store it in a safe place (away from heat, direct sunlight, etc.).
- Update it regularly with the most current material.
Contact Kathy to help you tailor your portfolio for a particular field.