Bluffton dominates Defiance, 6-3
Bluffton dominates Defiance for first win since 2006
September 21, 2008
DEFIANCE, Ohio - The Bluffton University women's tennis team was impressive in picking up the Beavers' first victory since Bluffton took care of the Yellow Jackets in the 2006 Heartland Conference tournament. Senior Rae McKee (Van Buren/Van Buren) was victorious in both of her singles matches, including an 8-6 win over Rose-Hulman's Megan Chann at No. 2 singles.
After a solid showing against Anderson University in HCAC action at home yesterday, Bluffton collected four singles wins and a pair of victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles to claim its first win of the season over rival Defiance College on Sunday, Sept. 21, 2008. Senior Devra Mast (Wooster/Central Christian) won 6-0, 6-0 at No. 4 singles and she paired with sophomore Katie Welch (Berne, Ind./South Adams) for an 8-2 win at No. 2 doubles.
Providing punch for the Beavers at No. 3 doubles were freshmen Sarah Wilkins (Elida/Elida) and Brea Quellhorst (Wapakoneta/Wapakoneta) who pounded the Jackets 8-1. Wilkins and Quellhorst surrendered just a single game each while thrashing Defiance at No. 5 and No. 6 singles, respectively.
Bluffton returns to action on Tuesday, Sept. 23, when the Beavers make the short trip to Ada for a matchup with the always-tough Ohio Northern Polar Bears. The contest is slated to start at 7 p.m.
Bluffton 6, Defiance 3
1. Amanda Auzins (DC) def. Rachel Huckaba (B) 6-4, 6-1
2. Rae McKee (B) def. Mandy Losby (DC) 6-2, 6-4
3. Cindy Toth (DC) def. Katie Welch (B) 7-5, 2-6, 10-5
4. Devra Mast (B) def. Chelsea French (DC) 6-0, 6-0
5. Sarah Wilkins (B) def. Amanda Johnson (DC) 6-1, 6-0
6. Brea Quellhorst (B) def. Jerika Hennes (DC) 6-0, 6-1
1. Auzins/Losby (DC) def. Huckaba/McKee (B) 8-4
2. Welch/Mast (B) def. Toth/French (DC) 8-2
3. Wilkins/Quellhorst (B) def. Johnson/Hennes (DC) 8-1
Rose-Hulman 8, Bluffton 1
1. Sam Danesis (R-H) def. Rachel Huckaba (B) 8-1
2. Rae McKee (B) def. Megan Chann (R-H) 8-6
3. Katy Zawadski (R-H) def. Katie Welch (B) 8-1
4. Betsy Marschand (R-H) def. Devra Mast (B) 8-3
5. Caitlyn Kohli (R-H) def. Brea Quellhorst (B) 8-0
6. Kristin Wilson (R-H) def. Ashley Smith (B) 8-1
1. Danesis/Chann (R-H) def. Huckaba/McKee (B) 8-1
2. Zawadski/Marschand (R-H) def. Welch/Mast (B) 8-5
3. Kohli/Marschand (R-H) def. Smith/Quellhorst (B) 8-0