F E R P A
Notification of Rights Under FERPA
Bluffton University Policy on Student Records
The Family Education Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) affords students certain rights with respect to their education records. Notice regarding FERPA rights is provided in the Bluffton University Catalog, Student Handbook and the fall and spring course schedules. This notice is also distributed annually to all students at the beginning of Fall Semester.
In accordance with FERPA, students are notified to the following:
- Right to Inspect: Students have the right to inspect and review all of their education records maintained by or at this institution.
- Right to Request Amendment: Students have the right to seek to have corrected any parts of an educational record they believe to be inaccurate, misleading or otherwise in violation of their rights. This right includes the right to a hearing to present evidence that the record should be changed if this institution decide not to alter the educational records according to the request.
- Right to Prevent Disclosure: Students have the right to prevent disclosure of Directory Information* to third parties with certain limited exceptions. A form for this purpose may be completed and returned to the Registrar's Office. It is the
intent of this institution to limit the disclosure of information contained in your
educational records to:
- those instances when prior consent has been given to the disclosure,
- Directory Information items which you have not denied permission to disclose, and
- items under the provisions of FERPA which allow disclosure without prior written consent.
- Right to File a Complaint with the U.S. Department of Education: You have the right to file a complaint with the Family Policy and Compliance Office, U.S. Department of Education, 600 Independence Ave S.W., Washington, DC 20202-4605, concerning this institutions failure to comply with their requirements of FERPA.
- Right to Obtain Policy: You have the right to obtain a copy of the Bluffton University student record policy. You can obtain a copy of this policy from the registrar's office.
*Bluffton University has designated the following items as Directory Information: student name, campus address, home address, campus telephone number, home telephone number, e-mail address, date and place of birth, major field(s) of study, class standing, full or part-time status, hours registered, hours completed, class schedule, participation in officially recognized activities and sports, weight and height of members of athletic teams, photograph, dates of attendance, degrees, honors and awards granted, date of graduation, and previous schools attended. Bluffton University may disclose any of those items without prior written consent unless notified in writing to the contrary.