Dr. S. K. Mosiman
Samuel K. Mosiman, first came to Bluffton to teach. He joined the small faculty in 1908 as professor of Old Testament Languages and Philosophy. Mosiman's talent as an administrator was recognized early on and, the following year, the board appointed him as acting president. In 1910, that position was made permanent and he served as Bluffton's second president for 25 years.
Mosiman earned a B.D. degree from McComick Theological Seminary in Chicago and a Ph.D. degree from Halle-Wittenburg University in Germany. After his return from his study in Europe, Mosiman taught Greek and philosophy at a small college in Lebanon, Ohio, for one year before he was called to Bluffton.
Samuel K. and Emilie Mosiman left a legacy that is not easily forgotten. The fact that Bluffton was graced with the Mosiman presence for more than 40 years does, of course, extend that legacy. But, more than that, the Mosimans brought a certain distinctiveness to the entire town of Bluffton that has lasted.
Childless, the Mosimans gave the best of their lives to the people of this college community. Many students were familiar with the inside of the Mosiman house, especially students whose homes were far from Bluffton, as the Mosimans enjoyed the company of young people.
Did you know...
... that the large, irregularly-shaped stone that lies on the front lawn of College Hall was to be Dr. Samuel K. Mosiman's tombstone? It was requested at Mosiman's death that a stone from his native community of Trenton should be placed at the head of his grave, instead of the usual commercial stone. However, those in charge of the cemetery at that time would not permit the stone to be placed at the gravesite.
A regular headstone with inscription was placed at Mosiman's grave in Bluffton's Maple Grove Cemetery. The rejected native stone was then moved to College Hall lawn. At that time, there was a circular drive around College Hall and the stone was placed near that drive.
Later, Professor John Klassen created a bronze medallion with Mosiman's profile in relief. This medallion was then placed at an appropriate spot on the stone.