Competition detailsRepertoire and memorization requirements
- Instrumental (brass, percussion, strings, woodwinds)
- Perform one or two solo works (10 mins. max.) at the level of works from the Class A OMEA Adjudicated Events List; memorization is at the discretion of the performer.
- Perform the first movement of a sonata by Haydn, Mozart or Beethoven and at least one other contrasting piece from a different style period (15 mins. max.); memorization required.
- Perform two contrasting solos (10 mins. max.), one in English and one in a foreign
language, at the level of works from the Class A OMEA Adjudicated Events List; memorization required.
- Perform two contrasting solos (10 mins. max.), one in English and one in a foreign language, at the level of works from the Class A OMEA Adjudicated Events List; memorization required.
- Accompanists will be provided by Bluffton University
- Applicants must request an accompanist on the competition application. Accompanist copies of scores must be provided to the university on or before Friday, Feb. 15, 2013.
- Participants may choose to provide their own accompanist
Copies of scores
- In addition to the accompanist copy, participants must provide one original copy of each composition for the faculty judges
- Please mark measure numbers in judge's scores
- Photocopied score will disqualify the contestant from the competition
- Decision of the judges is final
- The judges reserve the right to hear all or part of the prepared solos and the right not to choose a winner
- Performance time is limited as stated in the guidelines
- No videotaping, photography or recording is permitted
Competition registration information
- Registration deadline: Feb. 1, 2013 (No applications will be accepted after this date.)
- Have your teacher fill out and submit the Teacher Evaluation before Feb. 1, 2013.
- A $25 non-refundable registration fee must be submitted by the registration deadline
for the registration to be considered complete.
- The fee may be submitted by mail (please indicate applicant's name on the check memo line):
Performing Scholar Competition
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817
Complete your application for admission to Bluffton University.
Select and practice your competition repertoire.
Friday, Feb. 1
Performing Scholar Competition registration deadline
Friday, Feb. 15
Deadline to submit accompanist score to the university.
Detailed competition schedule sent to registered participants
Saturday, Feb. 23
Sunday, Feb. 24
Finalist round: Masterworks Concert performance