|Peyton Randolph, a cousin of Thomas Jefferson, Speaker of the House of Burgesses for nine years, and president of the first and second Continental Congresses, lived in this house from 1745 until he died in 1775. "The three-bay western section was built ca. 1716 for William Robertson, clerk of the council. A story-and-a-half tenement to the east was erected by 1724 and was later connected to the older part by a two-story, four-bay section probably built by Peyton Randolph" (Loth 547).|
Front facade from the south
Go to Williamsburg Architecture Index.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.