|In 1893, Honeyman and Keppie, the firm that Mackintosh worked for, was asked to build a structure for The Glasgow Herald, the main middle-class newspaper of the city. This became Mackintosh's first public commission. The newspaper company wanted a water-tower in case of fire so Mackintosh's design has as its most prominent feature a castle-like tower on the corner. Mackintosh built it to include more than 8000 gallons of water, since the danger for printing offices was fire. The tower is on the corner about 150 feet high with decorative cartouches in the upper registers and an ogee roof; this dominant corner indicates at this early stage in his career Mackintosh's admiration for 17th century Scottish Baronial architecture.|
150 foot high Tower with ogee roof
The Mitchell Lane front
Decorative keystoneThe corner tower has a door with windows flanking the door. The windows are beautifully framed with decorative leading in the upper window. The ornate keystone is echoed elsewhere on the Mitchell Street facade.
Decorative moldings on the tower corner
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.