Views of the facadeOriginally built as a luxury office building, this structure could serve the newly developed commercial entrprizes in the new state (Oklahoma became a state in 1907 with the capital moved from Guthrie to Oklahoma City). Charles Francis Colcord, a former U.S. Marshal and prominent businessman, built this first skyscraper with 12 stories (at 145 feet high) of reinforced concrete. An extensive renovation resulted in the opening in 2006 of a luxury hotel, now on the National Register.
Side entrance with decorative detailsThe architet William A. Wells, was a protege of Louis Sullivan, who according to some sources was the designer of the molds used for the decoration on the first, second, and 12th floors.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.