The 1899 Building from the northeastWhen it opened, this building was Akron's main post office. Like many buildings in the nineteenth century, this is a revival style--Italian Renaissance with pedimented "kneeling" windows on the lower story (invented by Michelangelo) and arched windows in the top story. Clad in red brick, it has limestone accents in the molding and base and beautiful bronze lanterns. The sloping site is evident in its limestone base.
The Akron Art Museum moved into this building, after a remodel, in 1981. In 1907, it became part of the much larger structure designed by Coop Himmelb(l)au.
Go to Akron Art Museum Index.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.