Michelozzo di Bartolommeo
begun 1444 (elongated in the 17th century by the Riccardi family)
Built for Cosimo Vecchio, this urban palace in central Florence rises about 70 feet above the ground. String courses separate the three stories, each of which is progressively decreased in height and the surfaces of which become smoother with less visible joints.
The fortress-like appearance of the rusticated bottom story (imitating Roman monuments) and the entrance
The heavy cornice imitating classical molding details and one of the mullioned windows with Corinthian colonnettes and Medici symbols
The small central colonnaded courtyard with second story windows echoing the facade and (originally) a third story open loggia
Click here to go to a site with images of the Procession of the Magi frescos by Gozzoli in the small chapel of this palace.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.