Exterior of the Syracuse Cathedral--page 4 (of 5 pages)
Temple of Athena, erected in 480 BCE by Gelon, forms the basis of the church built by Byzantine Christians.
Later constructions include side chapels on the south, narthex and Baroque facade (1728-54) Andrea Palma
Side portal with grotesque ornament
Marble statues of St. Peter (left) and St. Paul (center and right) flanking the steps by Ignazio Marabitti