|Located in an elevated spot and the most prominent location in the city, San Nicola fronts a plaza called in the 18th century Piano di Chiesa Madre e Casa Senatoria. San Nicola earlier was the Chiesa Madre but raised to cathedral status in 1844. The building history of this church is complicated. According to Tobriner there were probably three architects throughout the 18th century with the third responsible for the front towers and the second the facade. The dome was built in the 19th century and rebuilt again after its collapse in 1996.|
The front facade
The side towers, probably completed in the late eighteenth century
Sculptures of the Evangelists high above the side portals;
St. Luke and St. John
Continue to page 2--interior views.
Works Consulted or Quoted:
The Baroque Art in Val di Noto [official guidebook] Palermo, n.d.
Grady, Ellen. Sicily [Blue Guide]. New York: Norton, 2006.
Tobriner, Stephen. The Genesis of Noto. London: Zwemmer, 1982.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.