Church as fortressThis imposing-looking church was built as a signal of power after the Albigensian Crusade, an early 13th century war the Catholic Church waged against the Cathar heretics. This large church is built entirely of brick since good local stone was not available; it claims to be the largest brick building in the world. Bernard de Castanet (1277-1307), Bishop of Albi and Inquisitor of Languedoc, began the construction of the cathedral, although it was decades after his death before the construction was completed.
Rounded buttresses, which look like fortifications, and narrow lancet windows
The south porch, added by Bishop Dominique de Florence in about 1392This elaborately sculpted stone stands in dramatic contrast with the plain brick walls.
|The ornate, Flamboyant Gothic baldaquin over the south door dates from the 16th century.|
The west frontThe cathedral culminates at the west end in a great tiered belfry standing 78 meters (256 ft) tall.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.