The Pall Mall facadeThis club was for officers or retired officers of the Navy, Army, Marines and other military services. It was the Duke of Wellington's favorite club. Nash originally designed the club building but it was remodelled in 1842 by Burton--the facade we largely see today. The first register is rusticated with decorative keystones over the recessed round-headed arches. The classical orders are mixed with Doric for the lower porch and register and Corinthian on the second story porch. The Ionic frieze is topped by balustrades and a shallow set back third floor--added even later?
Left: Temple portico entrance; center: view looking down Pall Mall; right: the Ionic decorative frieze
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.