|In 1823, Robert Smirke was commissioned to design the library to house the King's Library and the museum's collections. It took more than two decades to build. The original museum had four wings around an open quadrangle-shaped courtyard.|
The restored Reading RoomThe Rotunda, the Reading Room, was added, designed by Robert Smirke's brother, Sydney. It was previously surrounded by bookstacks, never meant to be seen from the outside; now it has a limestone facade. (See Queen Elizabeth II Great Court, British Museum. Today the restored Reading Room, open without restriction to the general public, houses the Paul Hamlyn Library and COMPASS, a multi-media database of the collections.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton College.