|Surviving historic buildings have been incorporated into the complex, including, for example, the old Bank of Montreal building now housing Toronto's Hockey Hall of Fame. Here (below) this historic bank building, originally on Wellington Street, was disassembled stone by stone, restored, reconstructed, and moved to the far end of the "nave," appearing as it did when it opened in 1845 as the Commercial Bank of Midland District (designed by architect William Thomas).|
Facade of the Merchants' Bank building (formerly the Commercial Bank of Midland District)
Supporting arches of the "nave"The arches are lined up in front of the existing building supports.
Angular brackets for the balustrade and (below) decorative angular bases for the supporting columns
Return to Toronto Index.
Click here to return to index of art historical sites.
Click here to return to index of artists and architects.
Click here to return to chronological index.
Click here to see the home page of Bluffton University.