K-2 Activities & Problem-Solving As We Unpack the New Standards
presented by Duane Bollenbacher
Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, June 25-27, 2013
This 3-day course is designed for the Kindergarten—Grade 2 teacher who wishes to become a more knowledgeable, confident and improved mathematics teacher in order to help his/her student LEARN the basics of mathematics.
This course will help the participant to see his/her very important role in preparing the students to gain understanding and appreciation of mathematics. It is designed to improve the teacher's capacity to implement the new Common Core State Standards, to build his/her knowledge and skills in both pedagogy and mathematical content, to use cooperative problem-based activities, to learn problem-solving skills, to learn differentiation of teaching skills and to have FUN.
- Study and discuss as we UNPACK the new Common Core State Standards
- NUMER SENSE
- "DO the Math"
- Basic Skills
- Algebraic Thinking
- Problem-based and Discovery Approaches
- PROBLEM-SOLVING STRATEGIES
- Projects and FUN Activities for this level
- Group work, team work, and cooperative learning
Attendance at all sessions
Participation in all activities
Sharing teaching ideas that have worked for you
Please bring a camera with you if available (a simple quick snap camera or camera phone)
ITEMS to Ponder for the Workshop
- Come ready to think.
- Do you see math in your daily life?
- In your home? On the road? In the news?
- How does math look in your classroom?
- What is ONE thing you want to change?
- Please bring a camera with you if available (a simple quick snap photo or camera phone)
- We will look for mathematics in our daily lives and the stories that go with it.
- What is unitizing?
- What is subitizing?