When you include Bluffton in your will or estate plan, you sustain Bluffton's mission in a very special way.
A legacy gift is a commitment made during your lifetime that provides support to Bluffton at a future date. Legacy gifts are a wonderful way to provide larger support for Bluffton than you may have thought possible while still providing for a family and other estate planning goals.
Ways to make a Legacy Gift include:
- A bequest in your will or living trust is most common
- Life income gifts provide a future gift to Bluffton and an income tax deduction and income stream for you or family
- Designating Bluffton as a beneficiary of your Individual Retirement Account is a simple way to make a planned gift
- A charitable lead trust provides financial support to Bluffton for a specified term with the trust assets
returning to you or your heirs with significant tax savings
The Noah C. Hirschy Legacy Society recognizes donors who support the university with legacy commitments. To become a member and confirm your commitment to Bluffton's future, simply complete and return the membership form (pdf). There is no obligation to share the specific details of your estate plan, simply that you have included Bluffton.
IRA Charitable Rollover is now a permanent part of the U.S. tax code
Thanks to the Protecting Americans from Tax Hikes Act of 2015, persons who are 70½ or older are eligible to move up to $100,000 from an IRA directly to qualified charities without having to pay income tax on the money. You can make a direct transfer if:
- You are age 70½ or older on the day of the gift.
- You can transfer up to $100,000 directly from your IRA to one or more qualified charities.
- This opportunity applies only to IRAs and not to other types of retirement plans.
- You will not receive any goods or services in return for the rollover gift in order
to qualify for tax-free treatment.
Please contact Chris Moser, Director of Development to learn more about legacy giving to Bluffton.