Buildings and Grounds
Perform a wide variety of maintenance duties to provide a clean, orderly and safe environment for the students and the campus community.
- Perform minor repairs
- Respond to emergency calls for service
- Implement setup and takedown for a variety of campus and community events
- Work closely with other maintenance staff and contractors to meet the needs of the campus
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Assist in troubleshooting and repairs of minor plumbing and electrical problems
- Perform routine inspection of emergency lights and exit signs in various buildings
- Reports and responds to emergency calls and assist with emergency repair of fixtures in restrooms, labs, classrooms, offices and athletic facility
- Operate power equipment such as forklifts, mowers, power washers and power tools as needed for assisting maintenance activity
- Learn and assist with electronic key card access control system as needed
- Direct the work of student workers in summer and during the school year
- Any other maintenance task as needed and directed by the supervisor
Occasional duties and responsibilities:
- Snow removal and lawn maintenance when needed
- Perform occasional evening and/or weekend duties as needed (determined by supervisor) during special events.
- May serve as a lead worker in the absence of the supervisor
- Supervise students performing community service.
- Other tasks as assigned by supervisor
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of this job.
- High school graduate or approved equivalent
- Ability to properly use power tools and equipment
- Ability to understand and carry out oral and written directions in English
- Knowledge of methods used in maintaining buildings and grounds including basic knowledge of HVAC
- Basic understanding of workplace safety policies and hazard recognition
- Basic computer skills
- Demonstrate respect and sensitivity for a diverse workplace.
- Hold a valid driver's license
Physical demands/work environment:
The physical demands and/or work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by the employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Work in hazardous locations including confined space and heights above 35 feet when required.
- Use approved ladders or man lifts for access.
- Adhere to all policy and procedures including safety rules and precautions in work area.
- Occasional evening and/or weekend duties as needed (determined by supervisor).
- Regularly works in all outside weather conditions
- Ability to lift 75 lbs. unassisted
- Daily bending, standing, climbing and walking
Send completed Bluffton employment application form to
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817-2104
Bluffton University welcomes applications from all qualified persons who respect the Anabaptist/Mennonite peace church tradition and endorse Christian higher education in a liberal arts environment. Members of underrepresented groups are encouraged to apply. EOE.