Full time, 12 month contract beginning August 2018
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The position of admissions counselor for student athletes at Bluffton requires a self-motivated person with strong interpersonal and group communication skills, who is detail oriented, and possesses a competitive spirit for the recruitment of student athletes and for providing excellent customer service.
Essential duties and responsibilities:
- Student recruitment:
- Manage the pool of prospective student athletes to meet or exceed established goals
in the following areas: campus visits, application received, accepted students and
- Encouraging students to submit application materials.
- Notifying students of changes to their application status.
- Updating coaching staff of changes in student's application status.
- Reviewing financial aid awards with students.
- Meet with prospective student-athletes during official campus visits to provide a personal admissions interview. Visits may be scheduled by the coaching staff or the admissions counselor.
- Deliver formal presentation to prospective student-athletes and their families during on-campus group visits.
- Frequent evening hours telephoning students.
- Serve as liaison between admissions office and athletic office, providing clear and consistent communication to all prospective student athletes.
- Maintain contact with various university constituencies including coaches, faculty, guidance counselors, alumni, etc.
- Assist and/or provide leadership for 8-10 Saturday admissions functions (Discovery Day, Presidential Scholarship Competition, etc.) throughout the year.
- Represent Bluffton at college fairs, conferences, and other functions as needed.
- Other admissions responsibilities as assigned by the director of admissions.
- Manage the pool of prospective student athletes to meet or exceed established goals in the following areas: campus visits, application received, accepted students and enrolled students.
- Customer service:
- Provides exceptional customer service.
Communicates effectively with the director regarding daily on and off campus work schedules.
Occasional duties and responsibilities:
Hire and train student interns. Organize receptions for accepted students. Attend professional conferences. Serve on various university committees.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required to satisfactorily perform the essential duties of this job.
- Education and/or Experience: BA required. Some prior experience in recruiting, sales and/or marketing.
- Special Skills: As a frequent representative of Bluffton University to the public and corporate community, the employee must have high ethical standards and excellent communication and interpersonal skills. Be highly motivated with strong organizational skills, technology skills and the ability to manage multiple tasks are vital. Integrity and honesty in conveying program information and respect for prospective students are essential. Strong communication skills and organizational ability.
- Transportation: Dependable transportation and a valid driver's license are required. Must be willing to travel.
- Education and/or Experience: 2 years prior admissions experience or other college related work. Thorough understanding of the liberal arts, private college environment within Christian setting.
Computer skills in Microsoft Word and Excel, and familiarity with various internet applications are a plus.
- Previous experience as a collegiate student athlete preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS / WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met or will be encountered by the employee while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. This position involves frequent travel by car for the purpose of public presentations and meetings. Public presentations may involve transporting and handling display materials of up to 40 pounds. Parking areas are not always convenient to the meeting location. Capable of general mobility around campus and meeting sites.
APPLICATION IS CONSIDERED COMPLETE WHEN THE FOLLOWING IS RECEIVED:
Letter of interest
Completed Bluffton Employment Application
Send material to:
Attn: Erin Burkholder
1 University Drive
Bluffton, OH 45817